Question
Laptop won't turn on
Replies (68)

Tutor
Ireno
Message 11 of 69 (37,760 Views)

Re: Laptop won't turn on

Laptop turns on, but  screen is black,

Power button is on, also orange light and flashing light on right side of keyboard,

Can shut down.

Have checked all connections with no results.

We did have a power outage for almost an hour about 2 hours previously.

Tutor
Ireno
Message 12 of 69 (37,753 Views)

Thanks, your suggestion worked. Kudos to you.

Student
daviez
Message 13 of 69 (35,552 Views)

Hey man, I had the same problem with the same run-around.  1 year and 3 weeks to the day, the op system says it is counterfet, then the laptop simply won't turn on anymore...........................Contacted HP, they said they would fix for 330 dollars...........what a crock.  I bought this system from HP direct, it is like they put a countdown clock on the thing.

Student
GeorelloG
Message 14 of 69 (35,229 Views)

Many thanks on the reset procedure. Worked like charms. Baie dankie...:smileyhappy:

Student
Pabby329
Message 15 of 69 (34,817 Views)

WORKED!

Thanks from a "worried about how much its gonna cost to fix" Yiayia

Student
lovejesus
Message 16 of 69 (34,526 Views)

that worked perfectly can you explain more about exactly how it helped.  I am interested

Student
77sandy
Message 17 of 69 (33,994 Views)

My wife's HP Pavilion dv6000z notebook PC won't start after a long shut down of about one month.  I have tried the hard reset, holding down the start button for 20 seconds after removing the battery and power supply, without success.  The power supply provides the rated 18.5 volts with no load.

A previous problem occured, several months ago, with the battery pack that might be related to the "won't start" problem .  At that time, the battery pack would not charge or supply power.   After removing the battery pack with great difficulty, due to the high load required to move the battery latch, and several attempts, over several days, to get it reconnected to rectify the problem it started to supply power and take a charge.

Any actions you might suggest to fix my" won't start" problem will be appreciated. 

77sandy

Honor Student
Smiley111111111
Message 18 of 69 (33,504 Views)

Hello I acsedently dropped my Windows 7 computer yesterday and when I try to turn it on the screen stays black how do I fix this?

Tutor
yona4u
Message 19 of 69 (33,135 Views)

Hello,

I recently had the same problem with my HP Pavilion laptop.  I tried what the other person said, but it did not work for me either.

But then I remembered something about rebooting using one of the "F" buttons.  When I hit my power button, the lights would only come on for about 1 second and then go out just like yours.  While pressing the power button with the light on, I quickly also pressed F4 and my system came on!!!

I hope this help anyone else who may be experiencing this problem. 

Thanks for your help!!

Tutor
yona4u
Message 20 of 69 (33,133 Views)

Please note that my orginal problem happened when I slid my laptop across a surface which disengaged the battery compartment, then my computer shut completely off and I hadn't been able to get it to come back on.  My original battery was in poor shape, so I assumed I needed a new one... which I did anyway.  I tried turning it on with the new battery, the old battery, without a battery and so on... with the same result.  The lights would come on for 1 second and then turn back off. 

After hitting F4 while simultaneously hitting the power button, my system rebooted.  I shut it back down, unplugged it, and resinstalled the new battery.  I plugged it back in and turned it on... no problems now!!

Hope this helps!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation