Question
Laptop won't turn on
Replies (68)

Tutor
yona4u
Message 21 of 69 (43,990 Views)

Re: Laptop won't turn on

This didn't work for me either, but please see my other post.

When I pressed my power button, it would only stay on for about 1 second and then go off. 

While pressing the power button, I pressed F4 also.  I had to do it quickly, but this caused my system to boot up and it has been fine ever since.

Like I said.... see my other more detailed posts.

I hope this helps others who are having similar problems.

Student
NPOP
Message 22 of 69 (43,899 Views)

Removing the battery and then restarting did help me , thanks a lot.  but when I insert the battery back into the laptop the problem again comes back.

Honor Student
ramona0101
Message 23 of 69 (43,559 Views)

Totally worked! Thank you!!!
Tutor
rhochnadel
Message 24 of 69 (43,534 Views)

Never imagined there would be such a remedy when my laptop would not turn on.  I damaged the power cord a week ago and had to order a replacement cord.  When I received the new power cord and plugged the laptop in it would not start up, my first thought was either a blown power supply or a damaged start switch.  Then I found your reply on the forum, I am most thankful as the procedure worked liked a charm.  Sure am glad you are around, Robert.

Tutor
yona4u
Message 25 of 69 (43,506 Views)

I had a previous problem where my HP laptop would only come on for about 1 second when I hit the power button.  I got it to come back on by hitting F4 and power at the same time quickly.  It was fine for a while, but then would not come back on again????  This seems to be a power issue as my laptop was fine when it booted up.  I'm wondering if it's a power issue since the new battery doesn't seem to be holding a charge for as long as it should and I upgraded from a 6 cell to a 12 cell.  I'm wondering if the power cord is damaged somehow or burned up so that it is not properly charging the batteries. 

Can anyone help me with this??  I ordered a new power cord today and will let you know what happens. 

Student
stormiedae
Message 26 of 69 (43,453 Views)

so i have never posted to a forum bout my laptop before, but this is killing me. end of semester, you know? so i went to restart my laptop tonight and it wont come back on. i hit the power button, the power light, the quick bar thingie lights come on, the light for the card slot comes on, all for half a second, they all turn off, a few seconds later, they all turn on again for a half a second, then off again. the fan kicks on as well. if i hammer the escape key when the light pops on for half a second, i can get the lights to stay on and i ever hear the disk drive trying to see if there is a disc in there. the hard drive light never comes on. and i am writing this from my phone, so sorry for the typos and lack of capitalization...  please help. i tried the battery thing, i even checked to see if the hard drive and ram were seated correctly.  thanks.

Student
juditherickson
Message 27 of 69 (42,913 Views)

my hp laptop keeps turning on and off every few seconds, i can't see anything on the screen before it reboots and shuts down  & restarts. it is running vista .

Honor Student
Skillsaw2010
Message 28 of 69 (42,641 Views)

Hi, just wanted to let everyone know about how i made my ...Stupid ....Self Aware?...laptop to turn back on.

it's an HP..something, sadly i can't find the name of what kind it is other that it's HP.  :/

i changed the settings in power management to stop it  from powering down when it is plugged in. So at least it shouldnt' just turn off on me everyday.  It also has one of those fingerprint reader devices on the bottom right of the laptop....and i have yet to need to use it...sooo stupid. Anyways, if your laptop won't turn on, pull out the battery, (while the laptop is NOT plugged in), put the battery back in, plug in charger, and anything else you had, press and hold power button for like 3 solid seconds. That should do it.

I have no affiliation with HP, and i do not guarantee it will work. Although, for most normal situations, it should

i never would have thought about taking out the battery if i did not read through this support forum,

So, Kudos to you who started this page out., and thanks.

Honor Student
Skillsaw2010
Message 29 of 69 (42,641 Views)

Works, thanks. all i did was take out the battery, put it back, press and hold power after plugging everything back in.

Also, im goin to change the power management settings ....stupid life like pc

Tutor
yona4u
Message 30 of 69 (42,608 Views)

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that after purchasing my new AC power cord, my laptop is now working fine!!  I knew it had needed a new battery and thought that would fix the problem, but the new battery wasn't charging right because the power cord wasn't working for some reason.  Now my new battery charges and everything is functioning normally again!!

Thanks to everyone here for all of your posts and help!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation