02-08-2010 03:36 PM
I have a Comapq laptop (cq60-215dx) and I recently bought an external hard drive(simpledrive by simpletech) and it worked fine for about three times. And now my computer wont recognize the HD. I am so stressed as I have all my photos on there and have a project due in a week and a half. Can anyone help me with some ideas here? Thanks!
02-09-2010 05:32 AM
Sorry to hear of your problem.
I have a switch on the back of my external hard drives that can switch between e-sata and usb. Check to see if you have. You may have accidentally knocked it over.
Otherwise all I can suggest is to try the drive on another computer if still no good check cables (usb?) are OK . They can get damaged.
Check in control panel/administrative tools/storage/disk management is the drive showing?
Apart from that I cannot suggest anything else but to say if your documents/projects are very important then you MUST have backups,whether on rewritable dvd or externally.
I have one laptop and two desktops (one old ) plus two 750gig external drives. and have three copies of my data on different drives.
Hope you sort it out
02-09-2010 05:37 AM
It sounds like you have a problem with your disk management.
Try this one,
Please check if your external harddrive's status is "online" in Disk Management.
Here's how you do it:
1. Make sure your external hard disk is plugged into your notebook.
2. Click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc in the Open: line and click OK. The Disk Management snap-in will open.
3. On the Disk Management window, there should be an area where you can see the status of the drives which are connected to the notebook, check if there are any drives which has an "offline" status.
4. Right click on that drive and click "online".
5. Check if your hard drive is already detected.
Hope this one helps
Please click on the kudos link to say "Thanks".
It all starts from an idea... and then everything else follows..