Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello astaggs,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your notebook computer is not able to power on, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To further diagnose your notebook, I recommend following this document on Computer Does Not Start (Windows 😎. This should help in getting your computer to start back up again.

For further assistance, I will need to know:

• The Product and Model Number of your desktop computer.
  • The version of Windows you have installed on your computer.
  • If your computer has completed all of its important Windows Updates.
  • If you have updated your HP drivers using the HP Support Assistant.
  • If this is an on-going, or recent issue. 

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, as well as the requested information above. I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Will a hard reset mean windows will have to be reinstalled?

HP Recommended

Hello lchampion,

To answer your question, a hard reset will not require a Windows re-installation. In fact, I recommend following this document on Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset; which will only reset the computer's memory. The only time a re-installation of Windows is necessary is when you are performing a System Recovery of you computer.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

No it did not work.  I bought this computer for one of my Mexican students; it worked for a couple weeks when he returned to Mexico then quit.  He returned from Mexico last week and I have the computer now to "fix".   I have ordered a new power cord for it hoping that may be the problem.....will see.....when the existing power cord it plugged in, the little light where the cord goes into the computer does not come on, meaning no power is getting to the computer.  

HP Recommended

Hello again lchampion,

If the new power cord you are ordering does not resolve your issue, there could be a defect with the motherboard. If that is the case, please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I hope this helps!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello,   I'm having a problem with my Girlfriend's Pavillion G6 2218nr.  A few days ago everything was fine.   Now the laptop won't power on at all.   There is a white LED at the AC Adapter input when the adapter is plugged in but when you hit the power button absolutely nothing happens.  No LEDs come on, flashing or solid.  No fan sounds, nothing on the display.   I have taken out the battery, unplugged the ac adapter and held down the power button for as long as a minute and it still won't power off.   I have tried everything in this thread and everything in the boot up link.  have tried a different adapter, tried on the AC adapter with and without the battery.  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello cmgreenman,

I have read your post on how you are not able to power on your girlfriend's notebook computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To power your computer back on again, I recommend following this document on when the Computer Does Not Start (Windows 😎. This should help isolate the problem as to why the computer will not power on.

Additionally, I also recommend following this resource on Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter. This should help to determine if the power issue has to do with the notebook itself or the power adapter.

If the issue persists, please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

I hope this helps!

Regards

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Hi I'm having a problem with my pavilion g6, I recently tried turning it on but nothing happened, I've tried a couple of the suggestions but its still refusing to turn on, any suggestions?
HP Recommended

Hello kG_

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your notebook is not able to power on, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

Did you get a chance to follow all of the steps in the documents I have posted above? If so, what were the results?

If the issue continues after following the resources posted, please call our technical support at 1-800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

I hope this helps!

Regards 🙂 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I purchased a new adapter for the laptop and tried that; it still does not turn on.  Nothing has worked.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.