Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I'm having the exact same problem. I can't download that update because I can't connect to the Internet.
HP Recommended

my laptop is doing the same thing i cant connect to the internet at all it was windows 7 when i got it my ex boyfriend took it and had 8.1 put on it i would like 7 back dont like 8.1 but dont know how cause it wont let me do a factory reset and it wont connect to internet even hard wired

HP Recommended
I'm having the same problem with my hp pavilion g series I cannot connect to wifi. Please help me
HP Recommended
I have been issues with my windows 8 hp laptop not connecting to the internet. After constantly rebooting and search for contacts to resolve the issue all I get is nowhere......... Please Help 😭
HP Recommended

i have the same problem with the same laptop! it used to connect but it doesnt anymore.

HP Recommended

@corlia1021

For some reason I have not seen replies in this thread for a while, so assuming you are still having trouble with WiFi, you could start with a System restore back to a point before the problem began.

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

If that does not work for you, or is not an option, then I would recommend going through the followning page to start with: Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 😎

Then continue through the rest of this until your wireless is working for you.

Check the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Forget the network: (Windows 😎
1. Press Windows Key + C
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Change PC settings.
4. Click Network on the left.
5. Click Manage known networks.
6. Click the network name.
7. Click Forget.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @mahs,

A lot of the same information I gave @corlia1021 applies to you as well, but as I do not know your Operating System, I will give the additional information for Windows 7.

For the System Restore:

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 7)
Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

Just follow the same process, skipping only things marked with an Operating system you are not using.

Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)
Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 😎

Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:
Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:
1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Forget the network: (Windows 7)
1. Press Start.
2. Type Manage wireless networks and click the application at the top of the start menu.
3. Right click on the network and click Remove network.
4. Confirm the warning by click OK.

Forget the network: (Windows 😎
1. Press Windows Key + C
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Change PC settings.
4. Click Network on the left.
5. Click Manage known networks.
6. Click the network name.
7. Click Forget.

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

Reinstall the network adapter drivers:
1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.
2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.
3. Expand Network adapters.
4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.
5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.
6. Restart your PC and test.

Test an ethernet connection:
Self explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.

Test another connection:
Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

My laptop was working fine on my home wifi, until last week. It had trouble finding it, then it was invisible. Before that my fried had also those problems when he came with his laptop and mobile. I tried evertything suggested above. Then i called my internet provider and they sent IT guy (they gave me wifi router). He could connect with his two smartphones. He was working about 50 min and was puzzled why won't work and was blaming my laptop (HP Pavilion). I called my friend to come, that also had problem connecting on my wifi and he coulnd't connect also and showed it to IT guy. Then he switched wifi router with new one. First time i could connect and my friend too, then i turnd off/on my connection on laptop, problem came back (also to my friend too). After that IT guy, turnd off password for wifi and it worked as charm. At the end he figured out that problem was with auto and dynamic ip addres (auto was using also dynamic) in wifi router settings (192.168.0.1). He then switched to static ip addres and it works well. 

HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion g6-1351sa Laptop won't connect to the wifi.with wifi buton (my hp laptop don't show enithing of wifi)

HP Recommended

My g6 laptop at times it won't connect to the wifi. I have to connect and disconnect several times and it will works for a while. Connecting with a cable to the router works fine. When comparing the downloading speed:  with wifi 2.93 Mbps  with cable 26.97Mbps.  Aslo the wireless mouse is erratic and not working. I have tried three different new mouse and is the same. I have updated the Bios and wireless adapter in the device manager and nothing works. Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.