Question

Top Student
GraceeJags
Message 1 of 16 (6,651 Views)

My HP Pavillion dv6 suddenly wont read any cd/dvd?!

I have had my hp pavillion dv6 laptop for just over a year and havn't had any problems. Three days ago after completing some updates i tried to insert a sims 3 disc. The computer would not read the disc! I tried many different types of cd's and dvds but none work. My computer had been a bit slower lately so i decided i may as well recover the whole computer. But... still the same problem. It does not read any discs! The light will flash, the disc will spin and then it stops spinning and makes some wierd clicking sounds. When i click on my computer and click on the cd drive it tells me to insert a disc. But when the disc is spinning, next to the cursor the disc symbol pops up as if it is loading but nothing happens. The preveiw box with many different options for the disc doesn't even show. What do i do? I have updated everything there is to update and am getting very annoyed. Has anyone else been in this position and have a solution?

Professor
Pankay
Message 2 of 16 (6,641 Views)

Re: My HP Pavillion dv6 suddenly wont read any cd/dvd?!

This will resolve the issue:

1. Click Start and then click All Programs.

2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.

3. Type regedit, and then click OK.

on win Vista or win 7.....Click On start.....Type regedit press enter

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry sub key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. In the right pane, click Upper Filters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click Upper Filters only. If you do not see the Upper Filters registry entry, you still might have to remove the Lower Filters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click yes.

8. In the right pane, click Lower Filters.

9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

11. Exit Registry Editor.

12. Restart the computer.

||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
Top Student
GraceeJags
Message 3 of 16 (6,635 Views)

I can only find lower filters & upper filters under;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Do i delete them from there?

Professor
Pankay
Message 4 of 16 (6,632 Views)

Yes delete them...

||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
Top Student
GraceeJags
Message 5 of 16 (6,616 Views)

When restarting the computer i had to repair the computer in startup. The computer will still not read any discs :smileysad: Any other suggestions?

Professor
Pankay
Message 6 of 16 (6,603 Views)

Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager. locate CD/DVD driver.. expend it and right click on the driver under it.. select properties... uninstall...restart the PC

Top Student
GraceeJags
Message 7 of 16 (6,600 Views)

Nope,still not reading any discs!

Professor
Pankay
Message 8 of 16 (6,594 Views)

may be the optical drive has gone bad.. :smileysad:

Top Student
GraceeJags
Message 9 of 16 (6,578 Views)

:smileysurprised: i hope not because I really need to fix this soon.. :smileyindifferent:

Professor
Pankay
Message 10 of 16 (6,555 Views)

Try removing the optical drive and reinserting it..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation