Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have an HP Pavillion dv2000 special edition and latley it will get really hot, even doing nothing with nothing open or even when the laptop is closed. So long as it is on it gets really hot. I dont understand, I have a laptop cooler and my laptop didnt do this before. If anyone can help thank you.
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

How old is the system?

When did the problem start occurring?

Did you change anything recently-- more RAM, changed settings, etc.?

It could be that one of your fans is failing, which is not uncommon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry 🙂
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HP Recommended
I havent even had the laptop for a year and I have never even touched any of the hardware or even opened it. I havent been doing anything different latley and i dont really do that much gaming on my laptop anymore. It has been doing this for a couple days now. I can feel hot air coming out from the fan in the back.
HP Recommended

It could be another fan-- there are usually fans on your processor and video card, at least in desktops-- I'm sure it's the same in notebooks.

I'd get a better cooling pad, personally, but it's probably a fan failing or something similar...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry 🙂
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HP Recommended
You may have a program running in the back ground all the time. If you do not have a fan problem alone, try task manager ending programs one at a time to see if it cools off. She is running something I bet.
HP Recommended

Nah, there was no extra programs or processes running in the background, However it kinda stopped doing it so much, but I still have no idea why. My laptop cooler should be fine, it even curves under in the middle to allow air flow and has a fan in the middle of where it curves under. this is a link to my laptop cooler.

http://reviews.cnet.com/docks-stands/belkin-laptop-cooling-stand/4505-19213_7-32335791.html

HP Recommended
This is a recalled laptop. At least the DV2000 (I don't know about the special edition). Mine has been back for repair 3 times, each time it comes back working but not for long.I really think it's ventilation is the whole problem,Bad design. They actually update the BIOS to run the fans constantly but it doesn't work on mine. If it is covered under the "hardware issues recall"  HP will fix it for 2 years after the original warranty. After that they will not do anything. Mine has quit again( 2 weeks out of the extended warranty) and I'm up the creek. So I actually bought an expensive throw away computer. 3 years is it!
HP Recommended

If hp won't do anything for you it's worth opening it up and applying some arctic silver between the gpu and the heatsink ... there was none on mine and along with a slightly more dangerous fix involving a blowtorch, got it running.  Mine had failed and was out of warranty, with hp refusing to help so decided I might as well go all out with a make or break solution ... so far it's working beautifully, but I won't rely on that!  Anyway, for info, I also used a copper coin between the heatsink and gpu as that put extra pressure on the gpu to force a connection ... you might not want to do this if it's working, the thermal compound alone should help.  Anyway, if you are anything like me, rather than have a dead system, it's really worth a shot. 

PS, I've had the laptop running since last Thursday, with several reboots ... each time I reboot it I reckon it's going to fail, but it just keeps on going, gpu running at between 49 & 53 degrees while surfing the web.

Message Edited by trinny2812 on 08-10-2009 07:06 PM
HP Recommended
I dont know how mine could be recalled, I only bought it like 6 months ago at walmart.
HP Recommended
I am a laptop/computer tech and I have seen this issue many times and most of the time it has been because the laptop is full of spy/malware. Download superantispyware at superantispyware. com   download the free version and see if it helps. If too much spyware has sneaked into the computer it forces the processor to run constantly, a running processor makes heat, thus heating up the computer.
My posts are my humble opinions based upon 30 years experience in the technical industry.
If my opinion has helped, please respond with a KUDOS. If not then please rephrase the question, my opinion might change (smiles). When hearing hoof beats in the distance, first think Horses, not Zebras.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.