Question

Honor Student
Legojenta
Message 1 of 5 (8,470 Views)

My laptop shuts down suddenly!!

Hi

My laptop, HP Pavilion Entertainemnt PC dv6-1100eo, has lately been shutting down without me doing anything to make it do so. I do get some kind of warning up on the screen, but can't read it as the screen goes black within like half a second and the computer shuts down immediately. Anyone who can help?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (8,459 Views)

Re: My laptop shuts down suddenly!!

Hmmm...sounds like an overheating issue to me. Have you ever used a can of compressed air to clean the fan and vents in your notebook. Over time, they pick up dust. Then your heat sink gets clogged with dust, the processor overheats and the PC shuts itself down so the processor doesn't burn out. Spray the compressed air where the fan and exhaust vents are. Try not to spin the fan with the air. Maybe you can put a toothpick between 2 of the blades when you spray the canned air to keep them from spinning. If you allow the fan to spin too fast, it could ruin the fan bearings.
Honor Student
Legojenta
Message 3 of 5 (8,448 Views)

@pjtikkanen, I've now tried the compressed air. I can't see the blades of the fan, so can't hold them down, but I did spray it anyways. Hopefulle that will do the trick =) Thanks! 

Honor Student
Sam1
Message 4 of 5 (8,447 Views)

Watch my post Below your one about the Envy 15. Sound like the same problem - a motherboard falier.

Teacher
milesrf
Message 5 of 5 (8,402 Views)

Another possibilty to check for if this happens again - the fan has stopped running, so there's nothing left to push out the hot air.  Most laptops will overheat quickly if that happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation