Top Student
defkornofadown
Message 1 of 18 (12,837 Views)

NEED HELP!!! Plugged in not Charging

Product Name: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Error: "plugged in not charging"

hello folks,

hoping i can get some help here...i have searched up and down pretty much every avenue i could think of and have tried just about everything suggested in the forums and sites i have come across to correct this issue but to no avail. here is a list of what i have tried thus far:

1. tested AC adapter on another PC, works fine

2. HP Support Assistant - Battery Check (battery is in good health)

3. uninstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant control battery (later scanned for hardware changes and re-installed drivers)

4. uninstalled ACPI Fixed feature button (after uninstalling above, restarted pc, automatically re-installed both drivers)

5. uninstalled all Windows updates that were installed after error occurred

all have failed to produce any results. i have also noticed that my battery is draining. it was at 8% when i noticed the problem and has slowly dwindled to a mere 1%. not sure what else to try (other than the obvious of replacing the battery which was determined to be in good health) but if you have any other suggestions, i am open to any and all! thank you. 

Honor Student
Student92
Message 2 of 18 (12,825 Views)

Re: NEED HELP!!! Plugged in not Charging

check my post above on laptop and battery dead, im having same issues

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 18 (12,819 Views)

[ Edited ]

Follow these steps exactly.

Disconnect AC

Shutdown

Remove battery

Connect AC

Startup

Open Device Manager

Click the plus (+) sign next to Batteries category, right-click all of the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" listings, and select Uninstall In the "Confirm Device Uninstall" dialog box, click OK. (it’s ok if you only have 1 of these).

Click the plus (+) sign next to System Devices.Right-click the “ACPI Fixed Features Button" and select Uninstall. In the "Confirm Device Uninstall" dialog box, click OK.

Shutdown

Disconnect AC

Insert battery

Connect AC

Startup

Top Student
defkornofadown
Message 4 of 18 (12,817 Views)

not sure we are having the same issue...my battery is being detected everytime i scan it...it just will not charge. the icon on the bottom right tray appears as it always has, however the meter is not moving and the description reads, "plugged in not charging". when i take out the battery the icon changes to a "red X" over the icon so i know that it is being recognized.

oh, and one other thing i forgot to mention, i have even went as far as cleaning the connections, prongs...whatever they are called, underneath where the battery and laptop meet....and nothing.

my laptop is just over a year old, out of warranty and im out of money...i would like to purchase a new battery because that is the one thing i have yet to try but $60 - $100 would be a major strain on my student budget and ive been told its not something you can return without paying a bs restocking fee. anyway, if anyone has any solutions for me....im all ears!! thanks.

Top Student
defkornofadown
Message 5 of 18 (12,816 Views)

thanks mumbodog but i have already followed your instructions to the T, as described in my first post but nothing...one problem i am having with these instructions is as soon as i remove from AC my laptop shuts off because there is not enough "juice" on the battery. there is a problem with that because windows thinks it has crashed and did not shut down properly and im affraid i have done this far too many times than recommended. anyway, i guess its worth another try...will follow exactly as you describe. thanks

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 18 (12,810 Views)

defkornofadown wrote:

thanks mumbodog but i have already followed your instructions to the T, as described in my first post but nothing...one problem i am having with these instructions is as soon as i remove from AC my laptop shuts off because there is not enough "juice" on the battery. there is a problem with that because windows thinks it has crashed and did not shut down properly and im affraid i have done this far too many times than recommended. anyway, i guess its worth another try...will follow exactly as you describe. thanks

Will it charge with the notebook off?

Top Student
defkornofadown
Message 7 of 18 (12,806 Views)

the battery will not charge when its turned off either. i have let it sit over night  off and plugged in and nothing. now my meter reads 0%...but still in good health when i do the battery check thourgh HP assistant. im starting to loose faith and break down and buy the **bleep** battery...im just affraid it will turn up with the same result.

one thing to note, before powering on my laptop with the battery attached and AC plugged in, the "thunder bolt" light or battery light flashes four times and on the fourth, will stay on a little longer than normal...not sure what that means. and since this issue has occured, i noticed the "three disc light" or CD light flashes continuously with the AC plugged in...maybe this could help in coming up with a solution. thanks

Top Student
defkornofadown
Message 8 of 18 (12,789 Views)

ok so it attempted the suggested info again and still nothing. ive been doing some more research and i have read about flashing and updating the BIOS. some have had success in correcting this issue using this method. the version of BIOS on my laptop is F.1A and the latest version for my particular laptop (HP Pavilion dv6-2155dx) is F.1C. now i continued reading and found that the correct way to flash a new version of BIOS is to do it consecutively. in other words, flash every version in between (ie: F.1A to F.1B to F.1C) does this sound right to anyone? now by doing so i run some risks. not quite sure what these risks are but i have a feeling i could end up losing all of my work. anyhow, id like to know if this sounds right in correcting my issue and if anyone else has succesfully attempted this process. still looking for advice. thank you.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 9 of 18 (12,785 Views)

defkornofadown wrote:

ok so it attempted the suggested info again and still nothing. ive been doing some more research and i have read about flashing and updating the BIOS. some have had success in correcting this issue using this method. the version of BIOS on my laptop is F.1A and the latest version for my particular laptop (HP Pavilion dv6-2155dx) is F.1C. now i continued reading and found that the correct way to flash a new version of BIOS is to do it consecutively. in other words, flash every version in between (ie: F.1A to F.1B to F.1C) does this sound right to anyone? now by doing so i run some risks. not quite sure what these risks are but i have a feeling i could end up losing all of my work. anyhow, id like to know if this sounds right in correcting my issue and if anyone else has succesfully attempted this process. still looking for advice. thank you.

I have heard advice on both methodes, flashing every version or just jumping to the latest.

I have always just flashed the latest version and never had an issue, I am not a fan of flashing unless it is a last resort. A bios flash failure can render the PC unuseable and in need of professional repair in some cases, so flashing more than oince increases the risk of failure.

Flash at your own risk.

Top Student
defkornofadown
Message 10 of 18 (12,762 Views)

i have been doing some more research and i have come to the conclusion that my time is worth more than paying for a replacement battery. but first id like to give those of you with the same issue some insight on how i have come to this conclusion.

i downloaded and flashed the latest version of BIOS on my pc (F.1C). luckily, it started up just fine and boots up slightly faster. however this did not correct my charging issue. secondly, i ran the System Diagnostics using the UEFI Sart up menu (or after immediately powering on, pressed F2). after running the Start Up Test, Run In Test and Battery Test, (with the battery attached and AC plugged in) all have given me the same failure ID: QCRHAW-0005R8-XD0021-COFX03. it also stated in plain terms, Primary - Replace (00000041), Secondary - Not Installed (00000060) which means to replace the battery. and just so i covered every avenue, i updated the latest HP Support Assistant Softerware version 6.0.5.4. ran the battery check again and it finally gave me the status i was dreading...REPLACE, Failure ID: REOOW, viola!!! I am still unable to charge the battery but i now know that my PC is up to date and no longer recieving any conflicting messages....what a waste of time right!

so the last thing for me to do is go out and buy the battery and hope that i will have a portable laptop PC rather than a stand alone desktop computer once again. until next time. have a good day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation