Not detecting Hard drive (5451 Views)
Honor Student
chopper01
Message 1 of 3 (5,451 Views)

Not detecting Hard drive

Hi!

My laptop (dv5) cant detect the integrated hard disk.. I tried to look in BIOS, but I cant find the hard drive there either..

My question is, how can i fix this? If that's not possible, could it be a solution to buy a windows CD, and boot from the CD and install windows once more? Will this work, even though the computer cant detect the hard drive..? 

And where is the hard drive located at a dv5?

WOuld really appreciate help, when I need the computer to write a paper which is due Friday :smileyhappy:

Teacher
AaronM0110
Message 2 of 3 (5,419 Views)

Re: Not detecting Hard drive

A recovery probably would not work if the hdd is not being detected. You might try reseating the hard drive to see if maybe the drive just came loose, but most likely you will need to replace the hard drive. Here is a link to help you out with info on how to reseat your hard drive. You can find your model in the list, and it has videos on how to replace parts.

Hope this helps!

If you want to give a thank you or just mark a post as helpful, you can do so by clicking the white Kudos Star!

Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'.
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 3 of 3 (5,419 Views)

Re: Not detecting Hard drive

chopper01 wrote:

Hi!

My laptop (dv5) cant detect the integrated hard disk.. I tried to look in BIOS, but I cant find the hard drive there either..

My question is, how can i fix this? If that's not possible, could it be a solution to buy a windows CD, and boot from the CD and install windows once more? Will this work, even though the computer cant detect the hard drive..? 

And where is the hard drive located at a dv5?

WOuld really appreciate help, when I need the computer to write a paper which is due Friday :smileyhappy:

I suggest to reseat the hard drive. Switch off the laptop, disconnect the power cord and turn the laptop over. At the bottom find a cover with the hard drive sign. Remove the laptop battery and then the hard drive cover. Disconnect the SATA connector from the hard drive and connect it back. Make sure it's not loose. Put the laptop battery back and try to boot the laptop up. Go to the BIOS and see if the hard drive was recognize. If not, remove it completely and try it on a different computer or laptop as a peripheral device with a USB to SATA enclosure or a USB SATA docking station.

Boot the laptop from a Windows CD/DVD make no difference because you can't install anything..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation