Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@Pelican1218,

Can I have the full model number, DV7 is just the series infomation. If you are unsure where to locate that information have a look at this link for help if needed. 

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.
Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended
I think I have what you mean; it came off the bottom of the unit: dv7t-300. The product number, in case it is helpful, is: NQ339AV
HP Recommended
That is actually dv7t-3000, I dropped a zero before.
HP Recommended

@ Pelican1218,

No worries, I do see a BIOS update available for this laptop. Please make sure you have the AC adapter plugged in during the process, also when the download finishes save it first and then install it. More than likely the computer will restart on its own or it will prompt for one which is normal.

Thanks

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended
How will this BIOS update address the overheating issue? What do we expect to happen?

At the moment I have the battery removed and the computer is behaving in what must be the expected range.

It is still too hot to comfortably have it directly on your lap.
HP Recommended

@Pelican1218,

The BIOS update hopefully will allow the components of the motherboard mainly the (Fan & heatsink) communicate better with the remaining parts of the system. I know you mentioned earlier that the fan was run but that doesn’t necessarily mean it's running correctly.

Thanks

HP Recommended
I recently replaced a wifi nic and the overheating was gone. Go figure.
HP Recommended

Not sure we are going down the right path; the heat is reduced as long as I have remove the battery while plugged into the power cord.

Let me restate what I have seen so far.

Let's ignore that it is too hot to use as a laptop for now and focus on the extreme heat issue.

The problem statement is:

1. The laptop, when used on a desk with the power cord installed and the battery installed will, if used for a long time, get extremely hot in the upper left corner near where the vents are located (may be where the processor is located). 

The fan seems to go into a secondary faster speed but is unable to bring the temperature back into an acceptable range.

Steps taken:

1. When used on a desk, I have the back of the computer raised approximately 1 1/2 inches above the surface with no change.
  2. I have also used compressed air to remove any dust collected, none came out during cleaning.
  3. I have removed the battery and left the power cord is installed; this relieves the extreme heat (that flaked the varnish on my desk). 

It would seem that the issue involves the charging circuit for the battery since the temperature drops when it is removed.  Do you agree?

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, a wifi "nic"; is that a network interface card?

Do you thing that it was contributing to a heat problem?

HP Recommended
RedRose0528
Did you discover anything further that might explain or, more important, resolve the heating issue?

PS Got an email from Yusuf Chowdhury on 28 June but nothing since. See Case # 7502769778
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.