Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@Peclican1218,

There could be an issue with the cooling fan itself. It might be spinning but not spinning properly to disperse the heat being emitted. There may be a need of a new application of thermal paste. If the computer hasn’t been broken down to the fan to clean it directly that is something to consider doing.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.

As a am not comfortable with attempting this myself I will take it to a repair shop to perform these steps.

Will update you when this is complete.

HP Recommended

@Pelican1218, 

No problem, I hope everything works out for you. 

Thanks 

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Just been browsing comments here and wanted to add that there is a battery recall on some models, due to batteries overheating. I changed my battery and no more overheating problem! Suposedly my battery was not affected but the serial number is close and it  was obviously the problem in my case. Now I just need to figure out how to let them know because their website is as badly designed as their laptops 😞

HP Recommended
Thanks Madmissy.
I had discovered that if I ran the laptop with power cord attached and battery removed that the heating issue was much less frequent.
So, the battery recall was not an HP alert. I'll search for it.
HP Recommended

my HP laptop started overheating when i started playing Minecraft.  Now it overheats when I play any game.  I do not know if playing minecraft accelerated the problem or not.  But it is a surprisingly graphics intense game. 

Recently had a Minecraft party for my daughters 9th birthday.  10 kids there, 6 with HP laptops.  Good for HP for having the Yuppie marketshare.  ALL OF THE HP LAPTOPS OVERHEATED PLAYING MINECRAFT!!!

I am very dissapointed.  I have tried cleaning, taking offcovers and cleaning, cans of air, cleaning screens, etc.  Taking the battery out did nothing at all.  Currently the laptop crashes within 5 minutes of starting Minecraft.  With the battery out, it crashes just as fast. 

A fan underneath it has no effect what so ever.  1" blocks holding up the laptop have no effect what so ever.  Still crashes in five minutes after starting game.  Sadly all active graphics games now cause it to crash.  Also crashes while watching some youtube videos. 

Really, really wish there was a fix for this. 

It may be that my computer is so far gone that nothing is effecting it at all.  Maybe for those not so far gone there is hope for some of these efforts. 

HP Recommended

I am running Linux on an HP DV7 notebook with Core I7 processor, it has been overheating since only one year after I purchased in 2009. I cant blame the software , Linux is proven to be efficient to run on even a little arm based device and I know it for the fact because I am a Linux professional. I always use the laptop on a steel mesh structure with holes that I borrowed from an extra gadget for my oven (the computer industry has failed to design a simple steel mesh structure that dissipates the heat from the laptops efficiently, the stupid colling pads never work!, but thats another topic altogether) i paid big $$$ for the laptop hoping that its going to end all my miseies with laptops but to no avail. Even booting from a cold state, it throws me a message in POST - the computer overheated etc etc. The other painful experience I have with this is that the wireless connection keep on dropping, this is because some hardware issues with the wireless modem (occassionally it throws a message in POST that the wifi module is disfuntional and being disabled). I think it too has to do something with the heat. I personally believe that these laptops are not designed by real professionals, the vents are either downward or on one side which is more downwards than sidewise and any person with a little bit of intellect would know that its absolutely a disaster considering how much heat the i7 generates. Why can't they design such that the vents are on about 120 degree angle and on the back side of the laptop, away from the user?  This shows how silly the HP engineers who designed this were. 

Anyways, does anybody think there is a higher BIOS version for this and where I can download one? How about a firmware for my wifi chip, Intel microcode etc ? 

Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
Version: F.04
Release Date: 09/10/2009
ROM Size: 1536 kB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
EDD is supported
Japanese floppy for NEC 9800 1.2 MB is supported (int 13h)
Japanese floppy for Toshiba 1.2 MB is supported (int 13h)
5.25"/360 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
BIOS Revision: 9.57
Firmware Revision: 50.22

Thank you. 

HP Recommended
I absolutely agree about the design flaw and all the crap that the windows version comes with.. see my post about my laptop overheating miseries
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information in this thread; it has helped me a lot. I have an HP Pavilion dv7 which occasionally shuts itself down due to overheating, even though I don't think that I make it work very hard at all.

I found some freeware for displaying the core temperature which showed 80 deg C and rising. When it got to 93 I raised the laptop by about 1 cm on 4 stacks of 2p coins, 4 per stack. The temperature came down to 80 in less than 10 minutes. and the fan is much quieter.

HP Recommended

model#dv5 2035dx {Personal Information Removed}  product wq798ua#aba

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.