Question

Honor Student
neo74
Message 1 of 30 (36,885 Views)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable message

Hi, I have a Presario V2000 and recently had the hard drive formatted in order to reinstall XP.

During bootup I am now receiving the following error message....

For Reatek RTL8139(x)/8130/810x PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

It was recommended that I enter the bios and change the boot sequence but so far I am unable to get into the bios at all

with any key sequence. Don't know if this is true but I had read that the bios is kept on a partition of the drive? Regardless if anyone has any suggestions as

to what I need to do now it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 2 of 30 (36,827 Views)

Re: PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable message

Hello,

You must get into F10 Setup to change this - The system is trying to boot into off the Network adaptor and you need to change the Boot Options and move the Network boot to last. When you see the HP logo flash up- constantly hit the F10 key until it goes into the BIOS.

regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Honor Student
neo74
Message 3 of 30 (36,801 Views)

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I've tried every way possible to enter the bios during the logo and change the boot order but the message just repeats itself over and over not allowing me to do anything further. If you have any other suggestions please let me know... Thanks

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 4 of 30 (36,781 Views)

Hello,

This is definitely strange, we can try to force into F10 Setup. Try removing a memory module and then boot up.. It should detect a change and prompt for F10 - Likewise it should do that when you reinastall the module and boot up again.If that doesnt work you can try it with the Hard drive and boot with it disconnected.

regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Intern
itisilol
Message 5 of 30 (35,894 Views)

is there a OS installed on the hard drive?..seems not from what you explained.. if you have the recovery cd's.. put disk 1 in the cd drive and rebooot... i have 3 V2000's... and that is the issue when you install a new HDD
Top Student
damien
Message 6 of 30 (35,597 Views)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable message

sorry for hi jacking this post but is partly related

i have a pavillion zv5000 notebook that has this same error however i have not added any new devices or formated it. it was all runing fine untill sudenly stoped working and rebooted itself with this error. from looking around hp site i take it that my hdd is dead? is there any way if i get a new hdd of geting any info of the old hdd or has it all gone for good?

i have changed the boot order and no change also removing hdd and booting gives same outcome, ran built in check but came up with no hdd so couldnt perform task

Student
GaveattheOffice
Message 7 of 30 (32,019 Views)

Have you re-seated the hdd since it was removed from the machine?  Thought about the dvd/drive?

Student
rangabashyam
Message 8 of 30 (27,996 Views)

Thank u for the info..
Student
Tivoli
Message 9 of 30 (26,791 Views)

installed new hard drive and can't get my zv5000 to boot.

Top Student
tbird100636
Message 10 of 30 (25,112 Views)

I too had this code popping up just after the HP boot screen, but my case was unique, my laptop booted the OS fine, and the computer worked fine. Here's my full story:

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx laptop. Came with Vista 64, AMD Turion X2 processor, ATI Radeon 3200 HD on board graphics, DVD-RW drive. Bought it new 1/2009. 2 years later, it wouldn't boot at all. The Num Lock and Caps Lock lights were flashing a code after a minute. According to HP's troubleshooting guide, it was a bad processor. The local computer shop I brought it too said it was actually a common thing, but not a bad processor. They said it was a video chip solder connection issue. They said it was more common on Intel/NVIDIA HP boards, but could happeon AMD/ATI boards.

They re-soldered it, I got it back, and it worked all but a week and died again, same issue. Luckily the place stands behind their work, and they re-did the repair. I asked why they just didn't replace the board, that I would have been willing to do it. They said they wanted to find me a better replacement one that fit my laptop. Then they gave me a line that they'd have to wait a few weeks for HP to release on and ship it. They said they'd call me when they found a motherboard that fits and is better than the original. That never happened. I took the computer again, and surprisingly, it lasted longer. Lasted 4 months, same issue returned.

So I bit the bullet, and ordered a motherboard through HP. Wasn't cheap either, even though I bought it through an exchange (core charge) basis. Barely took a week to get!!! But it wasn't a new board, it was a refurbished one. So I installed it ( and let me tell you what a HUGE puzzle an HP dv7 laptop is!!!) and booted it. (My point is coming... I promise!!!) So it booted, after the HP screen the Intel UNDI screen pops up, and sets the PXE-E61: Media test failure code. The computer then proceeded to start Windows just fine. The computer worked fine and has since.

Another thing to note was at the time, I went to the HP Troubleshooting site and when I performed an automatic product detection, it came back stating a different model number computer. A dv7 still, with minor differences (different processor and different CD drive) Tonight, I got board and decided to search this code for a possible solution. It mentioned that if the network adaptor came first in the boot order before the HDD, it would set this code. Sure enough, it was wrong. I swapped the order, and it no longer pops up with that code, or the Intel UNDI screen.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation