Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello Stu2009,

I understand you are having an issue where your battery will not charge, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

I know you mentioned running tests and they all passed, by chance have tried inserting a compatible battery into your system to see if would charge, or vice versa inserting the current battery into another computer to see if the same results occur.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Hi RedRose0528

I do not have a second battery. Do not have another laptop which will accept the battery. I have done the battery check via F2 or Support Assistant, and results are either 10 or OK. I can drain the battery to 50% and it will recharge to  89/90% and stop. I can charge all day and once the battery icon reaches 89%...it will still say "89% available (plugged in, charging)"

The new charger will cool to room temperature, even though it is still plugged into the computer and wall socket. Amber LED light on the laptop charging point never reaches bright white....

HP Recommended
I am having the same problem. Now on my second battery. Was working fine now won't charge. Laptop says it is charging, but is stuck at 0%. Can't recalibrate. Tried the unplug adapter and remove battery thing, that did not work either. Also tried a different adapter, that is not the problem either. Plus when I purchased this battery it only would last about 30 minutes. Made sure it was the right model, etc. So something is wrong. Can it be the bios? Surprised if I have been unlucky enough to have 2 bad batteries.
HP Recommended

I have a very similar problem with the wifes laptop. She has a hp pavillion dv2500 and the battery wasnt holding a charge, so we bought a new battery. Then the power supply wasnt charging the battery, so we got a new power supply. Now the same issues keep happening. Bought a second new battery and power supply. Here is the issue: Comp starts up and runs fine. But when you plug in the power supply it charges the battery for maybe 45 seconds, then the blue led around the charger port kind of flashes like its not connected properly. The battery icon shows it charging, then not charging like its got a bad connection. I have tried taking out the battery and holding down the power button trick, but that dosent seem to help. Any advice???

HP Recommended

Ive had the same problem witm my hp 4540s, luckily its solved. 

I see that u have tried all the solutions posted in the thread. so, i guess there might be two problems left unchecked, mainly concerned with your connection points from the computer to the battery (golden metal strips from the laptop that your battery connects to) try these two steps, they might help. second step worked for me personally.

1.  try patting running alcohol (comes with cleaning kit usually) on the golden metal strips, with cotton cloth. 
  2. if 1 doesnt help, do these steps. (they worked for me)
  • turn off the system.
  • connect the AC adopter, dont turn your system on (notice if the orange light appears indicating the AC adopter is plugged)
  • now, push the golden metal strips from different directions and keep your eye on the orange light.
  • when the light turns off, thats the direction you need to push the metal trips for about 5 - 10 secs.
  • p.s. for me, i pushed the metal strips from down to upside(with lil force), i noticed the light went off, and i kept it pushing for, approx, 5 secs. plugged out the ac adopter, connected my batter, and it worked. actually worked for me 2 times.

BUT.. this is definitely not the permanent solution, there  is something wrong with your metal contacts, something is missing or slipping inside there, so it needs to be fixed permanenty. unfortunately hewlet packard made em so fragile that despite treating it so nicely, i faced this problem after about 4 months of purchase :/.

HP Recommended

I just had that problem two days ago, it happened out of nowhere. My laptop is only 5 months old and I should not be having this issue. I spent 4 hours on the phone with technical support only to be told that it was a bad battery, well I got my new battery today and the same thing is happening. It will not hold a charge, it says that it is plugged in and charging so I do not know what to do next, short of having the laptop sent off, which I can't do because I've got college applications and other papers to write for school and I am the only one in my house with a computer. 

HP Recommended
I just got my second battery today, it is also not working. It could be something wrong with the wiring in the computer because my laptop is only 5 months old. I should not be having this issue with the battery. Obviously, it's not the battery or the adapter as the technical support had said, so you may have to get laptop shipped out.
HP Recommended

Kevin,

Thank God you posted this solution for the battery not charging on the pavillion dv7.  Tried it and it worked for me.  I tried everything you can think of and nothing else worked.  I was going to buy another battery and may still need to eventually but at least this resolved the issue for now.  Thanks alot! 

HP Recommended
Awesome thanks it fixed my issues
HP Recommended

Was there ever a definite answer for this?

I have a HP Pavillion DV7 3063cl that is doing the same thing. My original battery (laptop bought 11/09) went out two weeks ago. Noticed it was at about 20% while plugged in, thought "weird," then a bit later it is at zero! Tried most the steps mentioned other than put different laptop etc. So ordered another battery. Instructions with it said: fully charge overnight while laptop off, then drain battery (i did until 10% shut off on its own, left on while gone so don't know how long it lasted), then recharged while working on it that night, then unplugged while when hit 100%. Worked then went to sleep letting the warnings shut it down again. I think the next day it wouldn't work at all. Have again tried the suggestions on here (can't calibrate as won't charge; unplug remove plug/battery on button 10 sec; updated bios, had to use safemode to run battery check but failed of course; cleaned gold posts; all lights seem to be working correctly. I do get the 5-10 secs of charging when I first boot up.

Did I kill the new battery (off brand) or did the laptop kill them both? Don't have the money to buy a new one, this one has been great ( just needs more ram and graphics for CADD).

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.