Question

Honor Student
Jrroman
Message 1 of 3 (69 Views)

Pavilion dm1 won't register exFat external hard drive

My little sister gave me her old netbook and I've been struggling with my external hard drive on it.

Basically when I plug it in the light comes on and the motor runs but it does not show up on the computer. I have checked disk management and it isn't there either. I've also been able to plug it into other PCs with it working fine.

I've been through quite a few forums and what relates most to my problem is that the computer doesnt appear to have the driver to read my hard drive. That is, when I go into device manager the hard drive comes up as freeagent goflex but when you select it it says there is no driver. But from what I've read seagate don't have drivers so I'm quite confused.

This hard drive is formatted into EXFAT and my computer is running windows 7. Is there an update for a windows 7 driver to read exfat drives that I can download?
Reformatting my drive at this point isn't really an option. I was hoping someone would have a solution.
Any ideas?
HP Support Agent
Futoji
Message 2 of 3 (39 Views)

Re: Pavilion dm1 won't register exFat external hard drive

Hello Jrroman, welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you're trying to get your external hard drive working with your notebook. I will try to assist you with this.

Generally if drivers are required for a drive to work, there is a disk provided with that drive, or the drivers are on that drive. Otherwise it's just plug n play, and usually the drive needs to be formatted.

To be able to look into this for you, could you provide the of the notebook, as well as the external hard drive?

I look forward to your reply.
Thank you for posting on the HP forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!

Futoji
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Jrroman
Message 3 of 3 (33 Views)

Re: Pavilion dm1 won't register exFat external hard drive

It's ok. I figured it out.
I just had to download the driver from this website and install it.
http://batcmd.com/windows/7/services/exfat/
Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation