Question

Top Student
bjmichael
Message 1 of 12 (11,206 Views)

Pavilion dm4-1160us numlock key (missing?) & fn F12 (also the wireless key)

[ Edited ]

1)  For the life of me, I cannot get the numeric keypad function to work.  There isn't a numlock key and the usual fn + alt key combination that converts certain alphanumeric typewriter keys to an (embedded) numeric keypad doesn't do it.. I  really need to be able to type in higher ASCII characters without going to the char map and copying them, especially when I'm trying to enter a password that uses them or emailing something where I need to use the section key symbol.  I couldn't seem to find anything in the manuals to help and searching Support on the HP site has yielded no helpful information.

2)  When I try to use the normal fn + F12 combination to close a remote connection, I just wind up disconnecting the wireless connection and not closing the remote link.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 12 (11,192 Views)

Re: Pavilion dm4-1160us numlock key (missing?) & fn F12 (also the wireless key)

Let me start with your 2nd question 1st... You Can disable that functionality by disabling "Action Keys Mode" in the BIOS...
Here is the document, that will help you with it... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US

On your 1st Question, to the best of my knowledge dm4 is not equipped with embedded numpad...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Top Student
bjmichael
Message 3 of 12 (11,171 Views)

[ Edited ]

Solution to #2 issue worked fine.  Thank you very much. 

With respect to question #1 (which is a much more serious issue for me), I tried researching for keyboard configuration options to get around the problem.  I can't be the only one who needs the ability to create/send special chars in situations where simply using the char map won't work.

Maybe a bit of background will clarify the need here:   A portion of my employment involves training users and providing tech support of special-purpose software over the internet.  We use a service that allows us to view and modify our program files on the users' systems.  In order to modify the software, I need to enter the developer password - which uses a special character as well as standard alphanumeric chars.  Copy/Paste doesn't work, nor does adding a numeric keypad (I was sure that would resolve the issue).  I tried adding another language and switching.  Microsoft has a keyboard layout app but research indicates it's not working in Windows 7.  I tried a small app called AllChars (Open Source) but a Windows 7 version is in beta and doesn't seem to work.  The Vista version works in documents on my own computer but doesn't work when I try to send the key combo over the internet. UnicodeInput and other utilities work if you've got a NumLock key -- which I don't. 

1)  Would it possibly work to add EnableHexNumpad to the registry?  I'm not crazy about messing around in the registry but if it would do the job, I will. 

2)  Is there an alternative keyboard layout available for my machine?

3)  Any other possibilities someone can suggest?  My firm is purchasing this new laptop for me to facilitate my work.  If it's not going to do that, it'll have to be returned and we'll buy some other brand with similar specs but with a NumLock key and unicode functionality.

JJ2 Student
Student
JJ2
Message 4 of 12 (11,018 Views)

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?  I'm coming across the same problem now.  Trying to key in ALT + 0162 but it doesn't work.  Depending on where I'm trying it,  my dm4 either beeps at me with each numeric key press, or in Word, different windows pop up.

I'll keep searching for an answer, as well.

Top Student
bjmichael
Message 5 of 12 (10,983 Views)

I did not find a viable solution yet. I've tried three different things, the first one of which might work for you.   I thought maybe Allchars would be the answer and that works for the developer login on my own laptop BUT it doesn't work when attempting to transmit the chars over the network.  If you don't work remotely (as I do), try Allchars.  It's an open source program now.  Supposedly the older version isn't "perfect" for Vista or Windows 7 use but I have no trouble with it when used locally.  I installed V4 but you might want to try the V5 beta.  

If that doesn't appeal (or work for you), another possible thing to try would be the Microsoft (free) app to create a custom keyboard layout.  I was able to create a custom keyboard layout that worked for other Unicode chars I sometimes use (e.g., § and ¶)  but  couldn't make it work for the critical one I need.  That may be because, it, too, isn't really Windows 7 ready.    

The third thing I tried (and it did work but isn't acceptable in my case) was to use an external keyboard (full size with numeric keypad) but that is cumbersome and not a desirable solution since I travel a lot and work from airports and hotel rooms. 

I tried adding a small numeric keypad that connects via a USB port.  That was a waste of money. 

I assume you've tried using the Microsoft Character Map and that it doesn't work for you. But just in case you haven't tried that, it's acessible via All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map.  You can find the symbol ¢ in the fifth row, fourth from the right in the Arial character set.  That doesn't work in my situation but it does the job when I'm working off the network.

Tutor
Spirko
Message 6 of 12 (10,360 Views)

I'm still looking for a solution to the Alt-numpad codes.  I thought an external numpad would do the trick.  Are you saying it didn't work?

My suggestion to HP is that the keyboard should have a way of sending every standard keycode on the 104-key keyboard and not waste keys on a calculator launcher.  One solution for numpad keys would be to have the regular keys produce those keycodes if used in conjunction with the Fn key.  For example, Fn-1 should send Numpad-1 to the system, etc.  Implementing this would require a BIOS update or at the minimum, a driver update.

Top Student
bjmichael
Message 7 of 12 (10,341 Views)

Yes, that's what I'm saying.  That was my experience.  The only way I have been able to get around the problem so far has been to use a full-sized external keyboard - not a viable solution for me when I'm traveling by air - which I do frequently in my work.  All of my prior HPs (and every other laptop I have ever owned over the years) had a num lock function on a key shared with the scroll feature activated by pressing the <fn> key.  Actually getting the ASCII special char results generally required a <fn> <alt> key combination used in concert with the numeric keys embedded in other letters.  I have no idea what possessed HP to discontinue it but I agree with you it should be restored somehow 

Student
patriotemeritus
Message 8 of 12 (9,722 Views)

Has anyone found a viable solution to this problem yet (using the native hardware)? I wouldn't want to have to buy an external num-pad, or another keyboard just to get a few special characters. The num-pad worked wonders in getting ASCII characters.

It's absolutely annoying and inefficient to have to run other software/tools in order to get one special character. HP please issue a bios update and allow us to get the num-pad working. Even if it means giving a 5-key combination to activate the numeric keypad.

Student
julian8378
Message 9 of 12 (8,411 Views)

the only way i can do this is start  >> run >>>  charmap, after clik on ok it display a character map with all the characters...still anoying,

Student
WileySegovia
Message 10 of 12 (7,440 Views)

AMAZING.

I cannot believe that my new HP laptop does not provide a way to key in ASCII characters!

I type a lot in Spanish and need to occasionally type in the N+tilde character or one of the five vowels with an accent.

Simply incredible.

Please restore this functionality, HP!

What happened when you attached the USB numeric keypad?  Would the characters at least appear in a Notepad window, for example?  (I realize your case is more complicated because you have to log in to a remote system ...)

By the way, mine is a Pavilion DM4-2015dx

Well, looks like mine is getting replaced with a VAIO within the 15 day return timeframe unless I find a solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation