Question

Honor Student
jse126
Message 1 of 4 (10,863 Views)

Pavilion dv7-1285dx battery light blinking blue

[ Edited ]

Hello, I know that this is a long post but I've included all symptoms and troubleshooting info,

So - I have a Pavilion dv7-1285dx that I bought last year. It performed flawlessly until the very day that the warranty expired. 

Here is what is going on - First off though, please note that I have never used the laptop on battery power alone. It has always been plugged in to AC power. However I would check the battery charge from time to time to make sure that it was good. It always said that it was fully charged.

But all of the sudden the battery light (lightning bolt) started blinking blue. I checked the battery level and it was 88% - odd. since I was not running the laptop on battery power. I did nothing to make the battery lose charge. Furthermore, the laptop reported that it was not charging. Otherwise the laptop was working fine.

Troubleshooting so far - I unplugged everything and removed the battery checked to see if the laptop worked properly on AC power alone. It did, and the battery light did not flash. I then powered the laptop off, put the battery back in and disconnected the AC power to check to see that the laptop worked on battery power alone. It did, again without the blinking light. Finally, I powered the laptop off, plugged everything back in, and powered it on.  

This time the light did not blink and the laptop reported that it was charging. I figured that the reset worked and the laptop was now working properly, but when the battery reached full charge the light started blinking blue again. It did charge the battery though, and at this time it says that the battery is fully charged. So the laptop is charging the battery and the battery is holding a charge.

My only issue now is that the battery light blinks blue. The laptop workes fine otherwise and it's not causing me any problems. But I need to know what is causing that light to flash. I don't feel like I can trust the laptop now and I cannot have that. Although I back up important files, I still need to know that my laptop is reliable.

What would cause my laptop to suddenly lose battery charge and report no charging in the first place? Nothing has been changed lately, no new hardware or software etc. I would chalk it up as an anomaly, except that the light is blinking. I read somewhere that someone else who had this issue and fixed it had to remove the CMOS battery and put it back in to "reset" the blinking battery light. In other words the blinking light was a "false alarm" and still thinking that there is a problem when there isn't one. I feel like I agree with that, since the laptop is again working properly and the blinking light itself is the only problem.  I'd rather not take the laptop apart, but since it is out of warranty I will do it if I know that it will work.

In conclusion, I would like to know if this is a known issue, what may have caused the problem, if I need to worry about the blinking light, and how I might get the light to stop blinking.

Please help me out, because tech support would not do anything for me because the warranty expired the day before this started. I think that they should have at least sent me a new battery to try but they would not do it. I used to work for HP and  there was a one month grace period on warranties. Especially for sending batteries. So I don't know why nobody would help me. Now - I've owned A LOT of HP products and have worked there in the past, so if anyone from HP is reading this maybe you can help me out here?  And finally, I have read of A LOT of people who have HP laptops that break almost immediately after the warranty expires. I should not have to pay over $100 to buy a battery just to troubleshoot the unit, and I believe that I should have at least been sent a battery in the name of customer satisfaction so I can continue troubleshooting. I've done it when I was an HP employee. This laptop cost me over $1,200; it was not a cheapie unit!!.

Thank you very much for reading through this. Hopefully I can get some help. At the bottom line I'd like to know at least if I need to worry about the blinking blue light. And if a bad battery would cause it, as I'd buy a new battery if I knew for sure that it would remedy the problem.

JG

PS -  please note that the BIOS, OS and drivers are all latest versions.

Honor Student
sbdantas
Message 2 of 4 (10,631 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7-1285dx battery light blinking blue

I've exactly the same problem, running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Any ideas?

Honor Student
sbdantas
Message 3 of 4 (10,627 Views)

I just found information about it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01487101.pdf

Student
Ragingrhino
Message 4 of 4 (10,012 Views)

I am having the exact same problem and the link that is at the bottom of the page doesn't do much good since it only addresses recalibrating the battery. Have you found a solution since June when you originally posted? If so please let me know.

P

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation