Pavilion dv7-4070us hinge is pulling the casing apart WITH PICS (17154 Views)
Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 1 of 99 (17,154 Views)

Pavilion dv7-4070us hinge is pulling the casing apart WITH PICS

[ Edited ]

The left hinge on my Pavilion dv7-4070us is pulling the casing apart. This litteray just happened over night. I've currently have the shell closed and connected to an external monitor, but i sorta need my PORTABLE computer. 

I'm out of warrenty so this looks like it will be a self-fix. So I've got two questions for you guys...

1> Is this a known issue? It seems to be on older models... If so is there a "recall" or anykind of support from HP?

2> Are there any walkthroughs on how to access the hinge (remove upper bevel) for this model? EDIT: Incase anyone else runs into this problem, they're have videos here: HP Services Media Library

hinge1.jpg

EDIT: The videos in HP Services Media Library for dv7-1000 Entertainment Notebook PC series, will only play in Internet Explorer. Who uses Windows Media player anymore.

This whole experiance has made my opinion of HP go straight into the dumps. I WILL not purchase another product from them.

Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 2 of 99 (17,149 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7-4070us hinge is pulling the casing apart WITH PICS

[ Edited ]

From HP "support"...

"If you wish you can send the notebook for a repair to HP , which would cost you around $255+taxes."

How about no. HP, you'll never see another dime from me. My machine has been out of warrently for one month. So these hinges lasted about a year and some change. 

Top Student
isthisreal
Message 3 of 99 (17,065 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.

I just noticed that the left hinge is lower than the right hinge.

Is your machine the same?

Sorry. Wrong way round. Left hinge higher.

Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 4 of 99 (17,051 Views)

[ Edited ]

It turned out that it wasn't a hinge issue, it was a case issue. 

The screws that hold the hinge to the base of the machine had broken the actual PLASTIC mount points for the screws. 

So let's see this is plain text. METAL SCREWS GO INTO PLASTIC MOUNT POINTS TO SUPPORT A HINGE. Yeah, what could POSSIABLY go wrong there???

So as stated above, the hinge was no longer connected to the bottom of the case and was free floating, damaging my CPU fan housing and threatening to crack the bevel. 

I contacted HP Support, which was useless, as they gave me the above response. I looked around online and there aren't many places where you can buy and new bottom assembly... and even if you can, it's not cheap. 

So right now my AWESOME HP laptop is anything but. I use it connected to an external monitor because any movement of the screen will have that free hinge causing all kinds of chaos inside the machine. 

It's a fixable break if you have the time, money, and patience. Don't expect any help from HP on this issue if you're out of warrenty, they're going to pretty much say "{Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion}you, you're out of warrenty. We'll fix it, but it's going to cost you, so pay up!"

I normally wouldn't be so harsh on a company, but this was not something I did through normal or even aggresive use. This is a design flaw that HP won't fess up to. 

And it's really no surprise that there isn't any support from HP... they have other things to worry about.

I. WILL. NEVER. BUY. FROM. HP. AGAIN.

Typed on a Macbook Pro from 2007 that has never had an issue with the hinge system. my 2010 HP is upstairs taking up space. 

Honor Student
merchantilist
Message 5 of 99 (16,751 Views)

Has any one repaired to case with a plate or other means to make fix for the problem of this design flaw?

Honor Student
MeowPotato
Message 6 of 99 (16,650 Views)

I have the same problem, but it has gradually gotten worse over time. Several months ago I noticed a noise in my fan like something was it in, but that went shortly away and only would happen randomly. A couple days ago, I noticed a crack in the plastic by the hinge, and today the hinge broke off. 

Were you able to fix the issue or did you just use it like that? And if you just used it, did it escalate to new issues?

Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 7 of 99 (16,649 Views)

It only led to escalating problems. This model is the Titanic (IMHO) of the HP family. The hinges are held in on each side by ONE screw that screws into a PLASTIC mold.. what could go wrong???

I did some reinforcement on my own (small metal plate and a small, and larger washer to distro  the load) because HP says it's not an issue. The clam shell currently works, but i do not trust it at all. This machine currently works as if it's a workstation.. I DO NOT use it as a laptop.

If you HAVE to use, feel free to message me and I van give you the solutions I've had to fabricate. But if you're looking at throwing more money at it.... let it go. I'm sure I'll get banned, but HP is going the way of Gateway.. Beats by Dre, case fabrication by 2 year olds.

One note: BE CAREFUL with the ZIF connector for your keyboard if you’re working on this machine. It is cheap and will break, and at that point.. HP is going to tell you to buy a new mobo... for a connector. I have not yet HAD this issue… but I’m waiting for it.

If I could go back in time, I would have never bought this machine and ignored HP completely... once they were a great company that thrived on their reputation.. now.... just another cog.

If any of you need any help. please feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

And if anyone finds this thread from a search... STAY! AWAY! FROM! HP!

//ready for the ban in 3..2...

Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 8 of 99 (16,647 Views)

In my follow up, i went on a tangent. The only fix was to buy a completely brand new base. NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

It's not the hinges, it's the ONE screw that holds the LCD being connected to a plastic base. Once that plastic cracks, you are SOL.
Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 9 of 99 (16,647 Views)

I did. I had to fab a piece of aluminum to cover the hinge area. And then, since there is only one screw securing the LCD to the body I did a small washed followed by a larger washer.

It SEEMS to be holding okay, but I only use this POS as a workstation. This is not a reliable laptop. If you can afford to chuck it, chuck it and look for another company. From all of my research, all of the current HP lines are flawed, and they care 0% about the end user.
Intern
Mikaelclt
Message 10 of 99 (16,607 Views)

I used some aluminum and cut a custom "plate" to fit over the hinge area and then used two washers. one smaller, one larger to distribute the pressure the screen was placing on the screw.

We'll see how long this solution works.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation