06-10-2010 10:27 PM
I have a Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX laptop that I bought a year and 2 weeks ago for my daughter for her birthday (of course just after warranty expired...lol).
Anyway, I have a blackscreen with power but no caps lock LED light when I power it on. Can hear the fan run; can load a cd into the cd-rom drive and have it spin, and my wireless network connection light is on (no connection), and I see an random intermittent flash for the harddrive light, but that is it.....nothing else....and thats how it remains if I would leave it on.
I've tried a hard reset, pulled and reset the RAM and hard-drive, so I'm pretty much thinking my motherboard has a problem. Is there anything else I can try to confirm that is definitely the case? I'm hoping that the problem is less severe than what it looks like, and that there is some quirky solution that will make my problem go away.
Also, if it is the motherboard it probably makes no sense to replace it since cost is basically same and buying a new laptop, but what are my options for recovering my daughters photos, school work, and music from the harddrive?
Any advice, ideas, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated....
07-26-2010 07:45 AM
I am trying to repair a CQ60 laptop with identical symptoms as yours. I suspect a faulty RAM slot on the motherboard. I've managed to get mine to boot by doing the following:
- Remove battery, PSU and RAM and HDD covers
- Unplug BIOS battery next to the hard disk
- Remove both RAM sticks and leave the laptop to discharge for a few minutes
- Replace one stick of ram on the lower slot only.
- Hold down power button for 15-30 seconds.
- Re attach the BIOS battery and replace the PSU connector.
- Try turning the laptop on. Hit F10 repeatedly to go to the BIOS setup so you can set the time again
Let me know if this helped your issue. If so, then there would appear to be a motherboard issue for this model.