Question
Student
Message 1 of 2 (412 Views)

Pink screen with my HDMI to VGA adapter

Dear community!

To connect my laptop with a beamer, I bought the HDMI to VGA adapter from HP.

It worked fine, untill I connected it to a ceiling-mounted beamer (which I use very often). The screen looks very pinkish and is impossible to read.

After some troubleshooting I did myself (already tried using another laptop for example), I found out that the VGA cable to my beamer is missing pin no. 9. Googling indicated that this is a ground pin, but also used for "powering the EDID EEPROM chip in the monitor".

I really don't know how to fix this problem on the software side. I'd rather not replace the VGA cable. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue?

Distinguished Professor
Message 2 of 2 (385 Views)

Re: Pink screen with my HDMI to VGA adapter

Hey Intregrand, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with the cable. Unfortunately, the bottom line is anytime there's a color/tint issue with a computer-projector scenario, is going to be a cable problem. There's not a software fix. A missing pin cannot be corrected with changes to software settings. 

What's the reason for not wanting to replace the cable? Is it a standard HDMI to VGA cable? What length do you need? I may be able to find one that is inexpensive (or at least try to find the best deal on one) and provide you with a link.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation