Question

Honor Student
MissAili
Message 1 of 11 (54,607 Views)

Plugged in not charging Issue

HI, I am using a Compaq Presario CQ40 313 TU Laptop. its just about 5 months old.

a week ago my laptop started to not charge..

At first it will not charge and will just have blinking light on the power light

after maybe a few minutes it will charge.

I am bothered and is wondering if I have to take it to the service center. or if it's normal.

I tried to calibrate the battery, it did not work

I also tried the battery check, which said that the battery is in good condition.

I also tried to install the latest bios software. .(which I do not know if it might really solve the problem)

I am just curious, any hep is appreciated. thank you. 

also if I am going my battery is low, and I plugged it to power and I have to use the notebook for say, 4 hours, which is better?

let it be plugged to power until I am done? or once its full charged, drain it then plug it again?? thank you! 

Tutor
Zachxw
Message 2 of 11 (54,589 Views)

Re: Plugged in not charging Issue

It is not advisable for you to drain your laptop battery (Charge to 100%, Drain to ~5%, Charge to 100% again)

In fact, by doing the draining cycle as mentioned above, it actually decreases your battery's life span.

Whenever you have access to A/C power, just plugged it in, charge to about 80% and remove your battery.

If your battery is full or > 80%, then just simply take out that battery will do! :smileyhappy:

There your laptop will be running on A/C power, no worries for battery.

But 1 thing to note about is that in the case of power failure, all your unsaved works will be lost. Of course that depends on luck as well. Hardly happens.

However, for your case, it's better to bring it to Customer Service Center asyou're encountering problems with your power supply through the adaptor.

Honor Student
HPHelper2009
Message 3 of 11 (54,542 Views)

Another thing you can try:

1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
  2. Expand the Batteries category.
  3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
  4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Student
dpc2081
Message 4 of 11 (48,308 Views)

I tried uninstalling Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and the battery indicator still reads plugged in not charging. As soon as I unplug the power cord the computer shuts down instantly as it has 0% charged. Any additional suggestions other than buying a new battery or computer? The computer is about 6 months old and HP has not provided any assistance on resolving this issue.

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 5 of 11 (48,300 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

You need to test the battery and make sure the AC Adaptor is working properly.

When you plug in the AC adaptor should see a light next to the Jack where it plugs in. If this comes on then the Adaptor is recognized. Next got the HPSA and run the HP Battery Check - if it comes back as failed and has a warranty ID - call into Support and have them replace it.

Here is a document on running HP Battery Check within HP Support Assistant.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01702473&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Top Student
Mainframe_Guy
Message 6 of 11 (48,287 Views)

I recently had the identical problem with my HDX 18t.

I ran the HP Support Assistant Battery Check, and it reported the battery was bad and had to be replaced. Yet it had a 100% charge and ran my laptop for 105 minutes. It sat on the charger overnight and the next morning the battery showed only an 8% charge, and the battery light was blinking.

I was a US Army avionics technician during the Vietnam War, so I tried the oldest radioman trick in the book... I pulled the battery, cleaned both sets of contacts, and snapped the battery back in place good and hard to be sure it was fully seated, just like it was an ARC-51 UHF set going into a Huey. Viola! Problem solved!

I reran the HP Support Assistant Battery Check, and it reported the battery was charging but needed to be calibrated.

You problem may be something as simple as dirty or misaligned contacts. Try the old Army radioman trick and see if it works!

SP5 JWP

US Army 70th Aviation Detachment

Korat Royal Thai Airbase 1969-70

Honor Student
SolomonWilliams
Message 7 of 11 (43,289 Views)

Thank you SP5 JWP. I followed your advice and removed the battery, then cleaned the contacts. The batter is now charging. 

Oh, I have an HP G62... in case anyone is having a similar problem.

Solomon

Student
lorymaclure
Message 8 of 11 (29,389 Views)

thank you.. i thought for sure i would have to buy a new battery or a new comp... you saved me a load of cash!  dont know why it would just stop working from one day to the next but it did, I popped it out like you suggested, and cleaned it,.,, checked the battery life info and stuff.. and boom it works again and charging!!! 

thanks a bunch!

Student
mp92
Message 9 of 11 (27,360 Views)

Hi all,

I had tried literally all of the solutions posted here, taking battery out, ACPI removal etc etc.
I took my laptop in to be tested in a computer repair shop. They tested the voltage on the charger which appeared to be fine. However, having my suspcions, I tested my boyfriends identical charger in my lap top and it worked.
My power pack had simply packed up. Annoying, but at least not a major motherboard issue. 

Bear in mind it might not be a battery issue!

P.S on running the HP battery check I was receiving the message Status: OK, Current State: Unknown. Look at your charger if this is your message

Student
IsaacJohnson
Message 10 of 11 (10,831 Views)

Hi guys, pls i need your help desperately. I bought a fairly used hp laptop hp6735s. I noticed the battery never exceed 17% charge since 3days. Also, i noticed the system will only boot or come ON when the charger is disconnected from the charging port else it WONT come on. Also, except the system is running (ON) thats when the battery charge manages to increase to 38% with a slow rate of about 1% per hour. I am frustrated pls what should i do?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation