Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought an HP laptop 11/25/11. Didn't open or use it until mid last year (currently still has protective plastic on it along with all stickers, etc.) Anyways, just the other day I went to use it, and as soon as I power it on, it immediatly powers off, or if it stays on, the fan kicks on to high speed. There are no beeps when it powers on, and the only lights visable are the power button, ethernet AC port light and a blinking caps lock light. The screen is black so I can't access any bios or anything.

So a brand new computer hardly used, and It's out of warranty and doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Everything online says it's probably the mother board gone bad.

Model: 2000-363NR

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

It might be the cmos battery drained. 

Can you pull that battery and check it with multimeter?

I know desktops will still boot with bad cmos battery.

HP Recommended

Based on the blink code the caps lock was giving off it appears to the be CPU. I took the whole laptop apart and tried fixing the thermo paste that seemed to have not been in contact with the chip anymore and reapplied it. I didn't see any sort of CMOS battery to replace.

When everything was re-assemmbled and booted up, I still received the same issue and code. Does this mean its probably shot? If so that's crap since it's a hardly used computer.

HP Recommended

some people say hold the power button down for couple minutes

http://www.fixya.com/support/t271167-hp_pavilion_dv2000_notebook_will_not

If your computer won't start at all, try this trick: press the power button until the laptop turned on and keep hold down the power button until the laptop turned off; do this for about 5-10 times > then press the power button (this will turn on the laptop) and let the windows start (if not working try a little bit more, trust me I've tried this so many times and this trick has been working great).

My HP dv2000 lights up all of the blue lights on the keyboard but the computer does not turn on. Since (from reading the previous posts) the problem is probably motherboard related I found a work around:
1) Hold down the power button until goes off
2) hold down the f2 button
3) press the power button

The system boots up fine every time on this laptop. Strange!

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem ...I have not taken it apart or anything yet but was wondering if you might have found a soultion yet or did you have to scarp your Laptop...

HP Recommended

Hi Randy66:

Thank you for your inquiry.

I understand that your computer will not power on, or it powers on and back off again.  I am sending you a link to "Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot" click here.

I am also including one for "Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge" clilck here.

I hope this helps. If you require further assistance please reply back.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

No, Following the blink code error, and after taking it apart, I'm pretty confident the processor died on it.

I thought about taking it apart again and finding a replacement processor, but for the cost of a new one compared to what I paid for the laptop, it's probably not worth my time or effort. 
But I havne't decided yet.

HP Recommended

Yeah I have the same blink code so probably the same problem...Thanks for getting back to me ..Oh I did do the perss the windows key B and power to reset the BIOS and it does stay on now and does not keep restarting but it didn't fix the black screen of Death...

HP Recommended

When I turn on my HP 2000 laptop, the fan starts to speed up, the caps light flashes, the screen stays black and shuts down almost immediately. Any suggestions

HP Recommended

Hi Justin728,

I understand your HP2000 laptop starts up and then shuts down. Here is a document on how to perform a hard reset. Resetting your computer forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.