Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I have a HP Pavillion DV9000 and I can't get the Print Screen to work. I have tried every combination of the prt sc key with Shift, ctrl, alt etc.......It is not placing the image on my clip board at all. Any ideas?????
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you are running Vista, try the 'Snipping Tool'. Under Accessories in the Start Menu, All Programs.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

If you are running Vista, try the 'Snipping Tool'. Under Accessories in the Start Menu, All Programs.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
dont know about the consumer models, but the business ones have a (blue) function key Fn which has to be holded down while pressing the corresponding key for a specific function, as the prtsc. holding ALT while using prtsc copies only the active window to the clipboard.
HP Recommended

Hi, all,

Here's a late entry to the discussion.

I couldn't figure out all the contingencies, but my print screen function seemed to stop working today on my HP Pavilion G6.  I use this function often, and was perplexed that it didn't work as expected this morning.   With some experimentation, I found that it now works only if I press the shift key while pressing the PrtScn key.  

I move the computer around fairly often, sometimes with stuff piled on the keyboard, and I am wondering if I have inadvertently pressed a key that changed something about the key function (similar to getting into French keyboard mode, or getting into sticky keys mode). 

Does anyone know what might have caused this to change (ie, from not needing shift to neeting shift)?   I don't need a problem solved, since I can still invoke the function, but it might help others to figure out how to get the PrtScn function to work on their HP laptop if they know how and when the keypress needed might have changed.

catwalker

HP Recommended

Hi catwalker. Couple questions so I can research for you. Which model of Pavilion G6 do you have? Which version of Windows do you have installed?

How to find your model number:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have been using my prt sc button all morning and it suddenly stopped working when trying to get an image from Google maps. I have tried turning the laptop on and off and following the find and fix procedure but can't find anything which will make it work. 

It did previously just work with a touch of the button but have also tried using fn, ctrl, alt shift etc and nothing is bringing it back. Help, not sure what I have done but I need Print screen!!

Any ideas?

HP Recommended
I just "fixed" my dv9000 that didn't want capture screenshots:

TURN OFF THE num lock FOR THE KEYPAD !

Then hold the fn button (+ alt for capturing only the active window) + prt sc

The snipping tool also works well.
HP Recommended

I use HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13 , print screen was working well but it is not working after I got 1 TB cloud from office 365.

Any idea what to do?

tks

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.