Problems with my new HP Mini 1000 and customer support... (5377 Views)
Honor Student
rosemary05
Message 1 of 7 (5,377 Views)

Problems with my new HP Mini 1000 and customer support...

I purchased an HP mini 1000 in mid-March from Staples to use for college. In the middle of June, I brought my daughter to head start, and when I returned home, my roommate stated that 'houston has a problem'. He had been reading his email, and the laptop turned off and would not turn back on....This is where the fun started.

I called customer service and explained the problem. After doing a couple things to try to get the laptop to turn on (unsuccessfuly), they ordered me the power cable piece that goes from the computer to the 'box'. I recieved that and had no luck.

I then called again, and we went through the same process as before, with no luck (again). They put in an order for me for the cord peice that goes from the wall outlet to the 'box'. I waited for that, and yet again, no luck.

I called yet again, and they decided to send me a box so they could repair it. I waited a week for the box, and when I got it, there was no 'bag' to put the laptop in, and there was no return mailing label. I called again and they ended up sending me a whole new box (why?) after another week of waiting. I sent the laptop in, and another week went by, and I got a call from them stating that coffee and been spilled on my laptop, thus they could not repair it, because that was not covered under the standard 1 year warrenty that was in place when I bought the computer. Neither myself nor my roommate has spilled anything on this computer, and my daughter goes no where near it, unless she is watching me play a game, and even then she doesn't touch it.

I was on the phone today (8-6) for 2 hours trying to find out what happened in texas (where I had to send it to get 'repaired') and when I spoke to a case manager, Sam, he basically called me a liar and said that the repair techs are not allowed to have liquids of any kind at their stations...which I know is BS. I know we did not spill anything on this laptop, and they are just trying to get more money out of me...

I paid around $300 for this laptop on sale (I saved maybe $50), and they are trying to say that it will be just over $1000 to fix it. The keyboard, motherboard, and hard drive all need to be replaced. (according to them) They sent me an email with pictures of the spills (there are two little areas that have any sign of liquid.) If something was accidentally spilled on it, it would be all over the place...but this was two little areas...it seems a bit deliberate to me.

I am thisclose to sending an email to Mark Hurd and ccing it to the Better Business Bureau. If that doesnt do the trick, I will be going to the office of my local congressman (a 5 minute walk down the road). I hope HP reads these forum posts, and does something about this. I am a full time college student, and one of my classes this fall is an online class, so I need this thing fixed, and I'm not paying for their screw-up.  

Grad Student
Vaika
Message 2 of 7 (5,353 Views)

Re: Problems with my new HP Mini 1000 and customer support...

Please correct me if I didn't read your post right, however from the sounds of it, you weren't there when the computer stopped working, correct?  It was just your room-mate?

Even though your room-mate states they didn't spill anything on it, it's incredibly likely that they did, if there are liquid spills.  Technicians are NOT allowed to have liquid at their stations due to spills being so deadly with notebook computers.  I highly doubt they would be so careless so as to have liquids in their working areas.

If they have pictures of the spills, and they sent you pictures of the spills-- I would believe them.

Your room-mate has absolutely no incentive to tell you if they DID spill the liquid on your computer, do they?  They have to live with you-- it would be far less pleasant for them to own up to it if they did it, because you would make them pay for a new notebook or for the repair.  I've had a problem with room-mates in the past where they were using my notebook to install a new modem, since it was the only notebook in the house-- one of them tripped over the cord and the notebook came crashing down to the hardwood floor, which...is worrisome to begin with.  Luckily, one of them caught it a little with his foot, absorbing some of the shock of impact. He then made sure the computer was still running, which - LUCKILY - it was.  The other one said "If you don't tell her, I won't either" -- he had no incentive for me to know that he caused the notebook to crash to the ground!  I was (rightfully) livid when I found out.

That story is mostly to tell you... don't trust your room-mate.  Again, they have *no* incentive to tell you that they did it, if indeed they did.  I would trust the HP technicians far more, because they're in a supervised area, with security cameras, and probably coworkers and people walking the floor.  That's how things are done in customer service-- there's always someone watching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry :smileyhappy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Honor Student
rosemary05
Message 3 of 7 (5,321 Views)

You apparently dont know any reallt trust-worthy people. I, on the other hand, do. I went outside for 3 minutes, long enough to move my car from in front of the building into the driveway. There was no cups of any kind in the room, so he could not have spilled anything on it, as he was not drinking anything at that point in time.

BTW...we are both Wiccan, and you don't lie like that to another Wiccan...it doens't work out very well in the end for the one doing the lying.

Student
benwilliams1
Message 4 of 7 (4,281 Views)

Hi,

I have the european version of this laptop here in the UK and EXACTLY the same thing has happened to me. I have even had the laptop tested out by a professional computer engineer who told me that the AC adapter went over voltage and shorted out the laptop's motherboard. I have put a complaint in to the complaints department.

Ben

Student
William81691
Message 5 of 7 (4,119 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just encountered this problems with HP. I have a DV7-1135, and one day i send it in because it wasnt booting up. It would say BootMGR is missing. So, Hp ordered me to send my laptop in. I send it in and they called me back and told me that they couldnt fix anything because there is a "liquid spill" on the motherboard. So, when i get the laptop back I try to power on the laptop and it powers on and boots all the way up and I use the internet for a period of time. Then the AC adapter comes out and the laptop immediately shuts down because the battery is dead. So, I try to power my laptop back on and it doesn't come on, I look at the blue light that lets me know its getting power, and its not lit. So i wiggle the AC adapter and the light flashes so I notice when it was held in one specific place i could power the laptop on, but when the AC adapter moved the laptop would shut down again. So I call HP back and explain my problem and they say they can't take the laptop back because there is a hold on it that i have to pay 400 dollars to replace the motherboard from the "liquid spill" So after I got off the phone with them I unscrew the back of my laptop and I look at the motherboard, and there is a clear plastic film with tape/glue on one side to stick it to the motherboard. This plastic film came on there from the factory because the back had never been opened by anyone except the HP techs, until I got it back after them. When this plastic film is pressed down it looks like liquid would look under a plastic piece of film. I agree when you say that if something was spilled it would be all over the laptop, but this "liquid spill" looks like 2ML of water under a plastic film (although its not). Also no liquid could possibly get to where they say the spill is because the plastic film is glued or taped on it. I had to take a tiny screw driver to pry up the taped film. HP wants me to pay 400 dollars to get the motherboard replaced, and its not what they say it is. Now I can't get on my laptop because they wont let me send it in with out paying them 400 dollars and I have 3 months left in my warranty I can't use to send my laptop in to get where the AC adapter plugs in the laptop fixed because of this. Does any one have any suggestions to what I could do about this? [text removed]

Honor Student
MSUBlake827
Message 6 of 7 (3,603 Views)

I believe that my AC adapter also shorted out my motherboard.  But my warranty expired the same day as you made this post. HP will do nothing for me.  I rarely have used this laptop, and it is in mint condition.

Honor Student
amattei
Message 7 of 7 (2,012 Views)

hp michines used to last for years, now as soon as the warranty expires so do your machine and, support... well they are not that anymore.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation