Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I just got this computer (G71) a couple weeks ago.  I tried taking a screen capture the normal way, the Prt Sc button, then pasting into word.  However, I'd press the Prt Sc button & I don't have the ability to past into word!  The paste option is grayed out, & Ctrl V doesn't work, either.  Help!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my new laptop, I thought it might be because I was not used to the new OP. When I was looking for information on it I found your post so I guess I'm not the only one with the problem and it is probably not due to the OP. I hope someone can help soon because I need it for a online class.

HP Recommended

HP laptop info - See the key that has "fn" on it? See how it has a box around it? That is the Function key. Holding it down and pressing any of the other keys that have a box around them activates the secondary function of that key. So, in order to Print Screen, hold down the FN key and hit the Insert key.

HP Recommended

@pantlesspenguin wrote:

I just got this computer (G71) a couple weeks ago.  I tried taking a screen capture the normal way, the Prt Sc button, then pasting into word.  However, I'd press the Prt Sc button & I don't have the ability to past into word!  The paste option is grayed out, & Ctrl V doesn't work, either.  Help!

Try holding the Ctrl key and then tapping the PrtScr key and then Ctrl-V to WordPad..  You can verify that a keyboard problem exists by plugging in a usb keyboard and trying the PrtScr routine.

regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Mine is not working as well. I did Ctr as well and it is still not working. I know my keyboard functions good, though there is no chance to screenshot

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

In order to print screen, you must hold down the alt button and then hit prt sc. Now try pasting the picture in. You can also use snipping tool and utilize "full screen snip."

Regards,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I had the same problem, it happened after fixing my laptop by HP New York. I tried to use the function button, it works with all the functions except print screen.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.