Question

Honor Student
gpzj
Message 1 of 2 (1,688 Views)

Refurbished HP laptop on Overstock.com

Looking at buying a refurbished HP compaq nc6220 on overstock.com. Anyone have any luck with this site or refurbished HP's? It doesn't come with a battery so I would need to buy that separate (any recommendations for where to buy reasonably priced batteries?).

Also, for basic needs of email/word is 1.86Ghz fast enough? THANK YOU for any pointers.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 2 (1,682 Views)

Re: Refurbished HP laptop on Overstock.com

[ Edited ]

nc6220 is a great classic workhorse of a machine. I have worked on and sold many. It was originally a high-end machine and is a cut above the standard consumer model. If you configure it with at least a gig of RAM and Windows XP it is plenty fast for anything you can throw at it.

Battery:

eBay battery

I looked at the ones on overstock.com. $320 is a bit pricey. I am also not sure it really is missing a battery either.

Here is one for $255 on eBay with a guaranteed battery and a DVD burner (a great deal, really). This is a reputable seller, too:

eBay nc6220

I have not purchased from overstock.com as their prices on laptops generally are not competitive. It is the same sellers as on eBay generally (at least the larger ebay sellers, not the moms and pops) but the big "O" charges a high fee to sellers to pay for the tv advertising. Refurbished laptops are generally a good deal but the term is very loose. The best ones are factory refurbished, but if they are refurbished by a large volume seller (generally means they are coming off a business lease) that is OK, too. 

Message Edited by Huffer on 10-23-2009 12:01 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation