Question

Student
JoanieBalonie
Message 1 of 9 (11,837 Views)

Remove Battery Replacement Alert in Health Check

I need help! How do I remove the Battery Replacement Alert in the Health Check program.  I've determined that my battery is not affected by this recall.  I've followed all the steps but the alert won't go away.  What am I missing?
Student
dalenj
Message 2 of 9 (11,741 Views)

Re: Remove Battery Replacement Alert in Health Check

I don't have an answer, but I am trying to solve the same problem.  You are not alone.
Student
psdemaree
Message 3 of 9 (11,489 Views)

I am amazed at how helpful and customer oriented HP is that they cannot even respond or suggest a solution to this problem that has been around for months! Makes me really want to stay with HP for future products ... NOT!

Come on HP get it together!

Student
baker14111
Message 4 of 9 (11,191 Views)

hey guys.

After experiencing HPs amazing customer service, lol, and being told to install updates that I had already installed.  I finally figured out how to get rid of this god **bleep** battery replacement message.  All you have to do is take out your battery and then run the quick scan in health check with the battery out and the comp on wall power.   After the scan is done it finally recognizes that you have completed the required steps and removes the message.  Hope this helps everyone out. 

Josh

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 5 of 9 (11,146 Views)

psdemaree wrote:

I am amazed at how helpful and customer oriented HP is that they cannot even respond or suggest a solution to this problem that has been around for months! Makes me really want to stay with HP for future products ... NOT!

Come on HP get it together!

this is not an HP tech support site, this is user to user support, hp thanks you for not buying in the future

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Top Student
cccoaster
Message 6 of 9 (10,482 Views)

Here's my work-around for the inability to remove the HP Health Check critical alert: "HP Notebook PC Battery Pack Replacement Program". NOTE: This is only a work-around that temporarily corrects the annoying problem in my Pavilion dv9700t with 32-bit Vista Home Premium OS (battery NOT recalled). HP should supply a proper fix for this bug.

1. Locate the program: BatteryRecallDetection.exe (Version 1.0.0.2). In my system it is located at: OS(C) > Program Files > Hewlett-Packard > Health Check > Active Check > vista > BatteryRecallDetection.exe

2. Rename the program to something different. I simply renamed it to: XBatteryRecallDetection.exe. The program could be deleted, but I chose to keep it around in its altered state, just in case it might have to be restored because of some unexpected consequences from having made the change. (None seen, yet.)

3. Re-run HP Health Check and Re-Scan your system. The persistent critical alert should no longer appear.

I hope this works for you.

Student
jelk8r
Message 7 of 9 (10,329 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried removing the battery as Josh suggested last night, but it didn't work for me.  Do I have to shut down and restart the laptop after I remove the battery, or do I run the "health check" again right after removing the battery.  I did not restart the laptop first, just took the battery out and re-ran the scan.  Thanks for your help.

Student
sw-ohio
Message 8 of 9 (9,324 Views)

Thanks, cccoaster!  The file rename worked for me!

Student
sahh
Message 9 of 9 (8,789 Views)

Thank you SOOO much, cccoaster.  Your advice was sound and it solved the persistent message problem for me.  You know your stuff and you write very well!!!  After more than six months of viewing the battery replacement "critical" message and trying and trying to resolve it - especially since, like yours, my battery was not one of the recalled ones - it feels great to see it finally gone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation