Question

Honor Student
DrOnline
Message 1 of 10 (2,410 Views)

Removing stickers

Oh hi there!

I just bought my first laptop! an HP pavillion DV5-1145. I'm well pleased.

And I peeled off one of the stickers, and it's left a terrible mess. Quite an eye sore. Half of it is still there, along with a bunch of glue and silver foil or whatever.

Any idea on how to removing the remains without scratching the machine itself?

Many thanks! :smileyvery-happy:

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 10 (2,408 Views)

Re: Removing stickers

You can dab a soft cloth with warm soapy water and gently rub it away, but you might have some buff marks.
Teacher
floydefisher
Message 3 of 10 (2,350 Views)

goo be gone is da bomb on stuff like that.  :smileyvery-happy:

Grad Student
Shawn
Message 4 of 10 (2,323 Views)

Aghhhh, the stickers you removed...the silver one...your windows serial number???

Hope you wrote it down for reference and the eventual reinstall.

You are left with a sticky mess because they do not want you to remove the stickers. Usually means important.

Grad Student
nazcar4u
Message 5 of 10 (2,318 Views)

good point Shawn. There is another sticker on the bottom with the s/n  number and the model number. do not remove it either.
All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Honor Student
DrOnline
Message 6 of 10 (2,283 Views)

Ah, it was just one of those stickers to the right of the mouse dingus. The ones saying stuff like: WITH WINDOWS, WITH ATI.. blabla. And I just thought.... I don't need ads on my machine saying I'm using this and that.

Thanks for the advice all! :smileyvery-happy:

Grad Student
nazcar4u
Message 7 of 10 (2,275 Views)

LOL I understand that!!
All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Tutor
pedenter
Message 8 of 10 (2,238 Views)

Hi,

Just a quick note, I've had the same stickers on the front of my dv9810 and have "delayed" trying to get them off for obvious reasons.  However, my father who's is a chemical engineer clued me in to using WD40 to remove the remnants of "stickers" on various things.  Works great!  I would obviously not use the "spray" to remove the residue - put on a little bit of soft cloth and rub - may take a little while - but it should work.  I would then go over it with a soft cloth with a computer cleanser or if nothing else rubbing alcohol.  And, as with the above advice, I wouldn't take off the stickers on the back of the unit which have your Windows serial number and the units serial number.  Good luck.

Pat

Grad Student
KazooTom
Message 9 of 10 (2,206 Views)

There is a product on the market called "Goo Gone" works great on removing residue from stickers. It is citrus based. Put some on a rag and rub lightly over the spot. the glue should come right off. I've used it on painted surfaces with no ill effects, so I don't think it will harm the finish on the computer.
dv7t-1000CTO Vista Home Premium (32 bit)
dv6-1350us Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
Student
Moiz1
Message 10 of 10 (445 Views)

I got new HP Pavillion Notebook 2190se, it is amazed stylish everything is good. but after a while I saw a residue black color sticker on right bottom of the LCD screen which is irritating me. I want to remove it out but whenever I try it looks like it will harm the screen if I pull it out.

any suggestion help me please...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation