Rename the Computer HP Pavilion 500-164 with windows 8.1 (150 Views)
Student
Big-Don
Message 1 of 2 (150 Views)

Rename the Computer HP Pavilion 500-164 with windows 8.1

I need rename my computer to the the same name as my previous computer HP a6113 so that I can download files from carbonite. The new computer uses windows 8.1 the old windows used vista
Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 2 (143 Views)

Re: Rename the Computer HP Pavilion 500-164 with windows 8.1

Big Don,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

You can change the common name that you use to refer to the computer:

Windows key + X > y (Opens Control Panel - icon view - System) for you

On the System page, look to the Center-Right of the window >

Find and click on "Change Settings" (Opens System Properties) >

In the box next to "Computer description" >

Assign the name by which you wish to refer to your computer

====================================================================================

You cannot change the product number, that is, the internal model name that the computer uses to identify itself.  I must qualify that statement:  Most of us cannot change this -- with enough knowledge and access to the system, many things are possible.  No legitimate software vendor would expect you do do this.

If this is not "good enough" for the Carbonite software, you might check on their forum (if such exists) -- you cannot be the first one of their users to buy a new computer.

You may also need to install / reinstall the Carbonite software, perhaps upgrade to a newer version (if there is such).

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation