Question

Tutor
vdolcourt
Message 1 of 7 (5,918 Views)

Right click on mouse pad HP Envy Laptop

I've not been successful in getting my HP Envy laptop (C8P48AV) Quad 15T-J000 to have right mouse click behavior. All of the other gestures seem to work. There doesn't seem to be any way to enable the feature in the Control Panel. I am using a workaround with an auxiliary mouse, but there are times I want to use only the HP as it is.

I have tried tapping anong the bottom 20% of the pad, and no matter where I tap I get a left mouse indication. I want to be able to bring up the various menus that come up with the right mouse button.

Can you help?

Honor Student
lucamarchisan
Message 2 of 7 (5,905 Views)

Re: Right click on mouse pad HP Envy Laptop

Hi,

I've got the same problem with my Envy 6 1070 el and Win 7 as OS.

I've tried to recover synaptics driver, to change all settings in the mouse panel, to reinstall win 7 but I have not been successful. Have you got win 7 too? because I noticed that with linux the issue disappears.

Tutor
vdolcourt
Message 3 of 7 (5,901 Views)

Windows 8 came pre-installed on the laptop, so I don't have any experience with the hardware ever working "correctly".

Tutor
vdolcourt
Message 4 of 7 (5,894 Views)

I bought the computer from Costco, and I just called the concierge for help. It does work on my computer. Here is what worked for me:

- move cursor to the point you wish to highlight

- object highlights

- put two fingers in the right click area on the pad and hold them there (or push down slightly) for about 2 beats

- object right click menu displays

My problem is that I expected the right click to be an instant pop-up like it is with a live mouse click. It isn't. But it is entirely workable.

Good luck!

Vic 

Honor Student
lucamarchisan
Message 5 of 7 (5,884 Views)

Thank you very much, I will try!
Student
Rebeccas07
Message 6 of 7 (4,165 Views)

Thank you!! 

Honor Student
jdohe
Message 7 of 7 (3,559 Views)

On my new HP Envy Touchsmart Laptop - which came with no documentation at all, and I am still wondering how I access the NviDia Geoforce video which I paid hundreds extra for instead of the built in Intel video chip that steals 2 gigs of RAM...

I found that to RIGHT CLICK, you tap TWO fingers in the very center of the touchpad.  I found that out by accident.  Of course, that information isn't given anyplace.

Another thing that is not an HP issue, but a Windows 8 issue is that it is virtually impossible to write a file into any of the directories INCLUDING c:\Program Files.  This is a huge problem because you can't PATCH software.  I got around this by installing programs to a new directory called c:\0   so that instead of installing to c:\program files\ (which I can't write to), I install to c:\0\program files\ (which I CAN write to)

My next 2 tasks are to figure out how to get to websites since something is blocking quite a few of them.  And then, I want to upgrade (not a new install, but an inplace upgrade) a window 7 computer to windows 8.1.   My best guess is that I have to go from Windows 7 to windows 8 and then to Windows 8.1.   Can't go from Windows 7 to windows 8.1 directly.  That way, Microsoft forces you to pay not only for Windows 8.1, but Windows 8.0 also.  No wonder the executives there are all billionaires.  The are the biggest theives in the history of the planet with their mega monopoly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation