Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an HP laptop with Vista Home Basics and Vista SP 2

I am installing Norton Internet Security 2010. I used the add/remove function of vista to remove all Norton folders, programs, etc. I also ran the Norton Removal tool which is suppose to get rid of any left over junk (ran it several times, rebooting after each time)

after all that, I went and did a search of my using "norton"system to see if there were remaining items.

Well low and behold, there were. But all of them seemed to fall under

C:\SWSetup\Inetsec

therewere several sub folders NCO (example) and all the subfolders seemed to contain some items associated with symantec/norton. There were also other items that did not seem to have a Norton copyright

Inorder to get a clean install of Norton Internet Security 2010, can I delete these reaminaing norton items?

Can I just detele the whole folder Inetsec that falls under C:\SWSetup\  ?

Will it screw up the computer if I do?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

This is most of the HP software that is installed on your PC, I would not delete it, HP Recovery manager software has the ability to reinstall this software should you need to. When you update drivers and software using the built in HP Update or downloaded from the HP website, it will store a backup of the newly installed software in there also, so it will grow somewhat over time.

I personally don't like NIS 2010, it has too much control over the system, and its not all good either, I uninstalled it on my new G62 and installed Microsoft Security Essentials in place of it.

HP Recommended

thanks

Do you know if the   Inetsec folder in C:\SWSetup\  can be deleted/

I mean is that particular subfolder just the download of older norton stuff?

When I look in that folder, a lot of symantec stuff

HP Recommended

If it does not take up much space I would leave it.

HP Recommended

Hi I had to re-register on here under this name. I lost my password not just for here, but for the email that I used

So the reason I need to see if I can delete the folder Inetsec that is located in

C:\SWSetup

Is that it seems there is a lot of Norton/Symantec items in the subfolders in the Inetsec folder

I'm trying to install Norton 201o product and they say you should make sure all Norton items/symantec items are deleted

HP Recommended

Do you have a current Norton product installed?

If so you should use their removal tool to uninstall any current Norton product on there.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

If you don't have any current Norton products running and feel you need to delete the folder then it would probably be OK to do so.

Perhaps you may want to copy it to a portable storage device for safekeeping until you know for sure you don't need it.

Paul

HP Recommended

@RibbyP wrote:

I'm trying to install Norton 201o product and they say you should make sure all Norton items/symantec items are deleted

That is for "Installed" Norton software, those files can be left alone. They are making sure you do not have any AV software installed before installing their AV software, you cannot have 2 active AV softwares installed at the same time.

You can copy them to another storage drive, then delete them from the SWSetup folder

HP Recommended

The computer had Norton AntiVirus 2009 on it and a previous trial of Norton Internet Security 2008

I have deleted those via add/remove programs and have used teh Norton Removal tool several times.

However those files in

C:\SWSetup\Inetsec

are still there. I need to make sure the computer is clean of any Norton older files before installing the Norton Internet Security 2010

that is my problem, do I delete teh Inetsec because it contains OLDER Norton files

HP Recommended

Inetsec folder means "Internet Security" folder. This has the files to install/reinstall the Symantec Internet Security software. You do not need to worry about this folder at all when trying to install Norton/Symantec versions as these are not installed files but installable files.

Please ignore this folder when trying to install any Norton/Symantec Applications.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

@Vidya wrote:

Inetsec folder means "Internet Security" folder. This has the files to install/reinstall the Symantec Internet Security software. You do not need to worry about this folder at all when trying to install Norton/Symantec versions as these are not installed files but installable files.

Please ignore this folder when trying to install any Norton/Symantec Applications.

Thanks Vidya

I take it that the items in the C:SWSetup\Inetsec    folder are the Norton/Symantec items taht were originally installed when the computer was purchased? (Like the free trail that many computers come with?)

the computer was purchased about 2008/2009 so the Norton items in the Inetsec folder would be for an older version of Norton

So you saying these items would not interfere with teh newer 2010 Norton installation?

But Since I am going to install a newer (2010) version of Norton, can't I delete the Inetsec folder located in C:\SWSetup ?

wouldn't there be no need for thes eolder items?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.