Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently read the list of items on how to extend the life of your laptop battery.  One suggestion is to run it on AC power alone whenever possible.  That's fine with me for the most part - bought my Pavilion dv9810 more as a secondary computer to use around the house, not necessarily as something to take with me everywhere - so the size and weight wasn't a huge concern.

However, recently I got tired of plugging and unplugging my power supply from the computer as the battery would be at full charge and with hours of use the charger would get fairly hot unless I disconnected with power supply and ran on battery alone.  Finally, I decided to just take the battery out and run on AC power whenever possible (which is most of the time); however, when I spoke with an HP Tech Support person regarding purchasing an additional battery for my laptop he told me I should not run the laptop without the battery in it - or, in other words, just using AC power for any extended period of time "because the battery is a part of the computer" and it would eventually cause my laptop to begin having problems????

Does anyone have a clear answer to this question?  Why on earth would running the laptop with the AC adapter and no battery cause a problem?  I was a heck of a lot easier and would seem to extend the life of my battery as well.  I don't want to ruin my laptop which has work perfectly from day one - something that apparently is unusual for this model - I also don't want the hassle of a docking station or any other gear - I just want to run my laptop with the constant annoyance of having to check the battery state if I'm already "plugged in" so to speak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, Pat

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended
Weird, if I remember correctly, the documentation for my DV 9908ca actually tells me to leave the battery out if I plan on running it through AC for any length of time.  The only time I could see it be worth leaving the battery in my laptop when using it at home is if the AC adapter started to flake out, since having the battery in it would prevent the sudden power offs. 
insert signature here
HP Recommended

Hi pedenter :generic:

It Is Confusing! :Crying:

I use my laptop pretty much the same as you :Wink:

Meaning...

I also bought my laptop - Pavilion dv7 - 1055ea ... As a secondary computer, to use only in my house.

This Is My First Laptop!

And I was rather shocked when I realised there was no clear instructions, on how I should use the battery :Surprise:

e.g.

Do I have to constantly charge it .. Use It Up! .. Charge it again?

Can I just keep using it with the AC Adapter all the time?

Can I unplug the AC Adapter and switch to Battery Power..  While the laptop is ON?

etc.

However!

I really don't see how I could use my laptop without the - Battery In  :Crying:

Why?

Coz... If I were to take out my battery - There would be a whopping big hole under my laptop :Surprise:

There is No lid to open, to take out my battery.

It's like the lid of the battery compartment.. Is part of my battery :HalfEyes:

So What I've Been Doing :Wink:

I use my laptop with the AC Adapter and Battery IN .. All The Time!

Except...

Once a week I do use my laptop on Battery for a few hours.

Just to run it down!

And let it have a bit of exercise :OpenSmile:

Note!

Wouldn't you think HP would make normal (  Optional )  power cords for these laptops?

You Know!

So that people that use their laptops like me and you... Would never even have to bother with the flamin battery.

Oh Yeah!

And battery hole covers too!

So that people like me... Wouldn't be left with a big hole under the laptop.

I Hate My Battery! :HalfEyes:

Laptop ... HP Pavilion .. dv7-1055ea ( Vista Home Premium )
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input guys - I have to say, the only thing my "HP" says about my battery is not to leave it in the computer for any length of time if you aren't going to be using the laptop for a while - just like any other product with a battery I suspect - you would end up with a problem - whether corrosion or whatever.  There is nothing about using it with or without the battery itself in  it.

The info I got regarding not running it without the battery came when I was switched from HP Sales - looking for a replacement or second battery and then being switched to HP tech support since I had questions about usage - like the above question - can I just change batteries when my laptop is running (yes) or more to the above point  - yes you can unplug the AC power and run on battery power without any problem.  Which I would highly recommend.  But it does become tedious.

I'm not sure where or how you are using your laptop - but I have both a "laptop" stand that I bought for about $17 at OfficeMax - just a foam form to put the laptop on.  And, I also have an old "lap board desk" (can't explain it more than that, but they are very common - a slim board surface with sort of a bean bag bottom - used as a desk for your lap, that I've had for years) - it fit's my 17" laptop perfectly and I don't even notice the big hole left from not having the battery in it!  It also makes it a little easier to use on you lap if you so choose, without adding a lot of bulk like the above referenced sponge stand.  Just a thought for you.

Still don't know whether to take the battery out and run on AC power alone.  Bit the bullet and ordered a second battery from HP (they were having a sale - kind of) - still ended up spending more than I wanted with the tax - but I want to be able to have a back up if I'm going to run only on batter power.  Plus, my computer is still under warranty and I didn't want to chance using a non-HP battery and void my warranty.

Still looking for a definitive answer to the AC along power issue... Pavilion dv9810us, Vista SP1 32bit.

Thanks, Pat

HP Recommended

An answer, an answer, I have an answer!!

"Do not keep a notebook plugged in with its batteries in place at all times. This will cause the battery to lose its calibration and ability to charge correctly."

This comes from the public document located here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01507270

So in other words, if you are going to use the laptop while it's plugged in, take the battery out unless it needs to be charged.

Personal experience has shown though that if my battery is left out for more than a week or so, it tends to need to be charged before I can use it again so if I want to take my laptop with me somewhere and use it on battery power, I have to remember to plug it in overnight to recharge it.

insert signature here
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link.  And the answer.  I have the laptop on a flat surface (lap desk) and so the absence of the battery really doesn't make any difference - except it's a lot lighter!

If the laptop is on a flat surface is there any real need for me to add a "cooler"??  I notice they do sell some laptop holders or "stands" whatever - that fold out and are specifically to keep the laptop cool.  As long as it's sitting flat and nothing is blocking the vents (I'm assuming a laptop is built to be sitting on a flat surface "as is") - is the cooler really necessary.  I'd like my laptop to last as long as possible also - so if it would extend it's life - it's worth it to me.

Thanks again for the link and the answer!

Pat

HP Recommended

Hi :generic:

I always use my laptop on the kitchen table.

However!

I also sit it on an upside down game board as well.

e.g.

You know those boards that you get with games like Monopoly?   :OpenSmile:

Why?

Coz..

1/ The back of the board is black

* Easy to see if there is any - Dust, Crumbs, Hair 

Or anything else that shouldn't be there, and might find its way in to my laptop.

2/ Its Cool!

* But also protects the kitchen table from the heat of the laptop

3/ At the end of the day... My game board folds up in to a nice little square.

* Very easy to store along with my laptop .. In my laptop bag :Wink:

I use my battery once a week to try and keep it healthy :smileyindifferent:

However!

If I had a choice...

I'd chuck both Battery and AC Adapter .. In The Bin!

And use a normal power cord.. Like a Desktop has :generic:

Laptop ... HP Pavilion .. dv7-1055ea ( Vista Home Premium )
HP Recommended

Using the cooler accessory is better than just flat on a desk or table since it has fans that run that circulate cool air under the laptop.  If you use your laptop a lot or use it with heavy use applications (graphics programs, converting video, leave it to download large files etc...) it's probably going to help a bit. 

That being said, I don't personally use a laptop cooler, I'm bad for setting it on the couch/bed etc wherever I happen to be.  I do have a 3 year extended warranty with all the bells and whistles so if it dies, I'm not worried.  I do horrid things like charge it using a power adapter in my car lighter socket, use it outside in the summer, leave it in hot/cold car.  I fully expect mine to die early because of how I treat it LOL.

insert signature here
HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

I appreciate all the input - and I wonder about getting the extended warranty on my computer.  However, just for ha-ha's I read the information that came with my computer regarding usage etc. (the real small print!).  While the only thing my manual says about the battery is to remove it when storing the computer when it won't be used for any length of time.

Getting into the fine print, particularly regarding "usage" of the laptop - I ran into some things that just totally boggle my mind.  For instance, it tells me not to use the computer on a soft surface (I thought that's what a lap was!:smileyhappy:) - also is says not to leave the charging unit on a soft surface as well (on blankets or pillows, etc.) - along with a few other caveats that to me sound like you might as well buy a desktop!

If I'm not mistaken most people purchase laptops for the ability to use them in alternative locations - not on a desk!  I don't know about anyone else, but the mini keyboards, etc. along with having to deal with batteries charging and discharging is the price we pay for being able to use a computer anywhere we choose.  So I was a bit floored when reading all the things I mentioned!

One last thing that really confused me is the instructions in plugging in my laptop (totally opposite from what I would consider normal).  HP tells me to plug the adapter in to the outlet first, then plug the cord into my laptop????  WHAT??  Maybe I've been using desktops for too long (from 1987, XT's with no way to expand and dual floppies if you weren't smart enough to buy a 20 meg hard drive! and of course, DOS!).

Just thought I'd throw that info in here - in case your "usage" of your supposedly mobile, use it "anywhere" laptop isn't covered by your extended warranty because you put your power converter on the couch or bed!:smileysurprised:

Best, Pat

HP Recommended

The usage directions you list here actually seem to me to be common sense.  You wouldn't leave a laptop on a bed or couch as it would block the air flow it needs underneath.  Would you sit a gaming console or a VCR or DVD on a couch?  Same idea, the laptops need air flow!!  On a lap is a bit different because unless you have a very large lap, sitting it there would not block all the vents and if it got too warm, you'd move it!  When I am using my laptop in bed, I have an old top from a TV tray that I use.  Otherwise it sits on my lap or the floor or a table or whatever hard surface is close by.

I'd never leave a power brick on a soft surface for any piece of equipment, no matter what it is.  They all get very warm and could be a potential fire hazard.

As for plugging the cable into the wall first - heck even my electric portable kettle tells me to do that.  If the unit is plugged into the cord and you shove it in the wall and power surge/spike happens you've just damaged the brick and possibly the item you are trying to use!  If you have the cord plugged into the wall before you plug it into the laptop, the brick is able to do it's job and send the correct power levels to the laptop.

Hopefully this helps you understand why those usage items are spelled out, it's not to make your life more difficult but to protect the investment you made in your laptop.

insert signature here
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.