Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Fair points all - I admit.  And I suppose when I was consider that I was thinking about after the initial connection is made between power and laptop - i.e.; when my battery is charged then I would just unplug (from the computer) the power and let the laptop run on battery power to run it down (now I just leave it out).

However, for health reasons and also because my office if upstairs which we don't usually heat in the winter - and for health reasons I use my laptop on the bed a lot - by that - I mean I'm on the bed - the laptop is sitting on a laptop stand or lap board, and I have now put the "converter brick" on a little hard cover pad of it's own - yes, it does get very hot.

I understood the point that it was to keep the laptop safe - but it just sort of struck me as funny not to use your laptop on your lap - sorry, weird humor!:smileytongue::smileytongue:

Plus there were a lot more "instructions" - like not to pick it up by the cover or "screen" - GEE  really???  You, know - the whole list finally got to me.   Sorry if the post was inappropriate.  And working for many years fixing computers, I have to make myself remember just how confusing computers are to most people at first - I swear my father who is an Electro-Chemical Engineer and wanted to learn the computer years ago (so I gave him one of my first XT's - he'll never forgive me BTW!:womansurprised::womansurprised: - could build a computer from scratch - but still doesn't understand the difference between where stuff goes on a hard drive and the difference between RAM and hard disks!  So - while I can build computers and fix them - I don't know as much as some about the electrical stuff - just goes to show you can learn something new everyday.  Thanks!

Pat

HP Recommended

I think the reason why the list contains so many "obvious" tips and tricks is the same reason that blow dryers and toasters have warnings on them that they should not be submersed in water.  You know, somewhere, at sometime, somebuddy did something that dumb and because it wasn't documented, they got reimbursed or repaired or monetarily compensated!

insert signature here
HP Recommended

I wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread.  I just got a new HP60 530US laptop and decided to use it as my production machine  (because it's 10x faster than my 6 year old box!!).

I found this forum quickly and the information told me what I wanted to know almost immediately.  You guys rock!

HP Recommended

just to let you know, my HP DV6 pavilion is only a year and a half old.  Ever since I got it the battery NEVER lasted any longer, brand new , than 1/2 hour, maybe 40 minutes.  So i called staples where it was purchased and he said well that could very well be since I have a fairly big one.  Ok, so i went another couple of weeks and then it started lasting less and less the more I used it.  I also plugged it in when I was home so it would last longer.  At the very end of my warranty, the power plug went on it and they sent me a new part free of charge.  I asked HP about my battery not lasting very long and I got the same answer, if the computer is big that is normal.

Well it never seemed normal to me, when I would travel with it and the battery would die within like 10 mins.  I was always upset about the battery, i believe i got a dud from the start.

Has anyone else's battery not worked properly or long enough?????  just did not seem right after puttting out about $1600.00 for the laptop and barely any accessories.

I mean, I bought a laptop so I would not be so confined to a desk and   PLUG IN.  That is what they are for right??

very upset with my battery and power cord as it seems to be going bad again. 😞

HP Recommended

I have taken out the battery but when I switced on my laptop nothing happened, it didn't switch on even though I had the charger connected to a electricity socket ? What did I do wrong ?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.