Question

Top Student
gkefas
Message 1 of 12 (5,112 Views)

Screen for HP Pavilion DV5220US is very dim/barely viewable...what seems to be the problem?

I am trying to figure out if the guys at the repair shop are pulling my chain. I don't want to throw anymore money away than need be.

The situation is that I gave a computer repair shop my HP Pavilion DV5220US laptop so the outer casing of the screen can be repaired. This was the only issue with the computer. I have owned the computer for 5 years and the scree began cracking recently. I fixed the hinges first but then the casing kept cracking so I had it replaced.

When I came to pick up my PC I was told that the computer's backlight is not powering on. As a result, the screen is very dim and you can only see it by shining a light into it. I was told that the problem is "probably" the inverter but that it would not be a guarantee that it would work. If I had no problem with this computer's backlight before, what is the probability this happens now when I give it to someone to fix it? Clearly they messed up the repair. My question is if this inverter will fix the problem with the backlight or will the backlight itself need to be replaced? Or both?

The computer powers on normally and works fine when plugged into an external monitor. They are trying to tell me that if the inverter doesn't fix it that I will need a new screen or a new motherboard. My computer never had these problems before today. now apparently everything went wrong at this place. I don't know what to do at this point.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 12 (5,106 Views)

Re: Screen for HP Pavilion DV5220US is very dim/barely viewable...what seems to be the problem?

The fact that you can shine a light on the screen to see your desk top is a classic case of a failed inverter.

Why don't you take it to another repair shop, it's quite possible that they unplugged the inverter to make look defective.

Video card and mother board is OK because the external monitor works. That is a fact.

I can give you instructions to replace the inverter your self, if you're interested. It's a bit of a job, but others have done it here on the site. :smileyhappy:

Something to consider, it's an old computer and the backlight(s) is/are old. Putting in a new inverter may burn out the lamp(s), in which case the screen will have to be replaced. They are usually around 100.00 to 150.00$ from a third party seller. The labour can get expensive to install it. This is something you can do your self as well.

Top Student
gkefas
Message 3 of 12 (5,101 Views)

Re: Screen for HP Pavilion DV5220US is very dim/barely viewable...what seems to be the problem?

I've already let them order the new inverter online and install it so I can't reneg now.

What I can do is update you after I receive my laptop in a few days. If it is still not working, what will be the problem? Just an unplugged inverter? If it isn't working after the new inverter is installed I will take the laptop elsewhere to be looked at.

Thank you for your tips. It's more comforting to know that it at least is the part they are talking about.

Top Student
gkefas
Message 4 of 12 (5,080 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey, the new inverter seemed to fix the problem...until I took it home and the screen began to flicker, made a high pitched hissing noise and heat up in the lower back. The screen also got really dim at times.

Do you think this is the lamps burning out? You mentioned that it may do that if you install a new inverter.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 12 (5,070 Views)

[ Edited ]

It does sound like the lamps are going too, now with the fresh inverter in. The inverter and lamp arrangement are like the fluorescent tube / ballast arrangement in a hardware store. With those you get heating up, flickering and buzzing sounds when things get old.

With that said when a fluorescent tube reaches the end of its life it does exactly what your screen is doing now.

It's strange though how some of them seem to carry on for years, while others fail with in two.

Sorry to hear you're having a bit of bad luck with this.

The other option is that the new inverter (or used one) is failing. The heating up, noise and flickering indicate as such.

I would either fix it myself, or take it to another shop.

Top Student
gkefas
Message 6 of 12 (5,063 Views)

[ Edited ]

The hissing is coming from where the inverter is located and it is only very hot in the location of the inverter as well. I think it may be a faulty inverter that was installed. I am in no mood to pay any more for this laptop. I will take it back and demand they replace the faulty inverter they installed.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 12 (5,049 Views)

Keep up posted, I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems with what is a simple fix.

Top Student
gkefas
Message 8 of 12 (5,026 Views)

Ok so the problem seems to be the inverter. The 2nd replacement part they ordered doesn't even fit for this model. I am reaching the end of my rope with this PC.

I called HP Technical Support and they advised me that they no longer repair these computers and that they no longer make parts for them either. That means that the parts the repair shop is getting are 2nd hand parts that are not manufactured by HP and probably not good enough to work as an HP part.

So what are my options now? At this point it doesn't seem like there is anything left to do other than trash this computer.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 9 of 12 (5,021 Views)

Here are some other sources.

http://www.getpartsonline.com/407800-001.html  I have dealt with these people before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Inverter-HP-407800-001-PK070005U00-PK070018510-NEW-/250542061886

http://www.batterysupport.com/hp-407800-001-inverter-p-213920.html

Look on page 5-33 of your service guide, that is where I got the part number.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00700932.pdf

I should get you to send me the computer, I could fix it, this is becoming ridiculous. It's not brain surgery to find the right source and replace a simple inverter. Tell that to your repair shop.

HP may not make the part anymore, but new parts are still out there.

Top Student
gkefas
Message 10 of 12 (5,016 Views)

Thank you so much for your help. I bought the part myself from the first link (GetPartsOnline). You don't think I'll have a problem with getting the right part, do you? You said you dealt with them before.

I will take the part to the same place to install it free of charge. I will make sure I'm there watching them install it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation