Security Question for HP....Lojack for Laptops (6123 Views)
Teacher
floydefisher
Message 1 of 6 (6,123 Views)

Security Question for HP....Lojack for Laptops

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3828&tag=nl.e539

1.  Is there a list of laptops made by HP that shipped with this?  Can we see the list?

2.  Is there a way to deactivate this in the BIOS, or can you get a bios flash that does not contain this?

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 6 (6,150 Views)

Re: Security Question for HP....Lojack for Laptops

1. Check this link.

2. No.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 6 (6,108 Views)

I'm not sure if the vulnerabilty exists unless you actually install and activate LoJack? The article mentions finding the registry and other hdd settings that are set by first run of Lojack and modifying them to control laptop.

Interesting...and deserves more reserach.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 6 (6,133 Views)

If You use LoJack software then You may have a problem because all processes of it are on white list of any antivirus program. So every program which care aboutYour security thinks then every action of it is safe for You.

Hp for listed models set this option as enabled in Bios and user can't change this option. That'show this system works. If Bios do not support it this program can't work.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Teacher
floydefisher
Message 5 of 6 (6,073 Views)

CherylG wrote:

I'm not sure if the vulnerabilty exists unless you actually install and activate LoJack? The article mentions finding the registry and other hdd settings that are set by first run of Lojack and modifying them to control laptop.

If your bios has this, all that is needed is for malware to be installed, and presto!  You're now a zombie.

Not something I bargained for.  Need to get this over to the [H]ard boys and get a fix asap.

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 6 of 6 (6,104 Views)

floydefisher wrote:

CherylG wrote:

If your bios has this, all that is needed is for malware to be installed, and presto!  You're now a zombie.

Not something I bargained for.  Need to get this over to the [H]ard boys and get a fix asap.

It really doesn't seem to be that much of a problem...It would still have get passed your security software in order for it to install...and it's only been researched and unknown if any malware has been created to take advantage of the situation.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation