Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So on my laptop (Pavillion X2 r010dx), I disabled Action Keys because it was annoying me, then Shift-b stopped working. Lower case b works, and I can hit Caps Lock to produce an uppercase B,  but nothing happens when I press shift-B.  Using either shift.

No other key combinations have been affected that I've found, and I tested most. Works fine with Action Keys enabled in the BIOS.

BIOS bug? Something else? Any fixes for this?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey @veniston ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the Shift+B on your keyboard is not working without Action Keys enabled in your BIOS.

After disabling the Action keys shut down the notebook. Disconnect the keyboard and remove the AC adapter for at least 1 minute. Reconnect the keyboard and adapter and test the keyboard.

I would also suggest updating the BIOS if you are not already running F.06. You can download the BIOS update here: HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors).

I'm also curious if you experience the same issues with an external keyboard or the on screen keyboard.

Let me know if either of those help. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying.

The suggested procedure didn't work.  I had previously upgraded the BIOS to F.06, not sure if the problem existed prior to that. I only had the computer a week or so before updating.

The on-screen keyboard works fine in either mode, but the screen "shift" function acts more like a caps lock (does not depend on being held down) so it is not really a true comparison.

Any other thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hey veniston,

The on-screen keyboard test was mostly curiosity. Never hurts to check. Smiley Tongue

Let's see if restoring the BIOS to the earlier version resolves the issue. This way we can determine if the issue is actually coming from that specific BIOS version or the BIOS in general.

When you upgrade the BIOS on your notebook, a copy of the previous BIOS version is stored in the HP TOOLS partition of your hard drive. Many HP notebook computers have an emergency BIOS recovery feature that allows you to recover and install the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive, as long as the hard drive remains functional. This emergency recovery feature is separate from the BIOS and is designed to work in the event of a catastrophic BIOS failure.

To recover an earlier version of the BIOS on your notebook:

1. Turn off the computer.
2. Plug the notebook into power using the power adapter.
3. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time while the computer is off.
4. Still pressing the Windows key and the B key, press and hold down the Power button on the notebook for 1 second, and then release the Power button and the keys.

The Power LED light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds. You might hear beeping sounds. Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen displays and the BIOS update begins automatically.

If the HP BIOS Update screen displays, go to step 5 below.

If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, do one of the following depending on the condition:

Computer boots into Windows - The computer will boot into Windows if the power button and keys are released too soon. Repeat steps 1 through 4 above, holding the power button down for 2 or 3 seconds.

Power LED light turns off - The computer will turn off if the power button is pressed and held down too long. Repeat steps 1 through 4 above, holding the power button down for between 1 and 3 seconds.

After repeated attempts, the HP BIOS Update screen does not open - Your computer does not support this function or it has a hardware problem that is preventing the tool from opening.

5. After the BIOS is recovered, a Continue Startup button displays and a timer counts down. Click the Continue Startup button to restart the computer immediately. The computer will restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.

6. When the computer restarts, a black screen appears with a message similar to the following:
A system BIOS Recovery has occurred.
BIOS Recovery (500)
Enter - Continue

Press the Enter key to continue immediately or allow the computer to reboot automatically.

NOTE: After restoring the BIOS, if the computer repeatedly displays a message that the BIOS has been recovered, perform the steps in HP BIOS Application Selected is Corrupt or Missing.

7. After restarting, Windows may display a message stating that the computer was improperly shut down or that a boot problem was detected. Read and respond to the screens to continue.

Let me know if you have the same problem after restoring the previous version of the BIOS. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Performed the procedure below, it completed successfully, and...the restored version is F.06.  No change to the problem.

Is there an older BIOS I can download somewhere to try?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey veniston,

Looks like this is the only BIOS download available for your notebook. Which would imply it's the same BIOS that shipped with your notebook and explains why you still have the same version after the recovery.

I've managed to get my hands on a Split x2 here and was unable to reproduce the issue so I don't believe its a bug in the BIOS and is specific to your notebook.

I would suggest contacting HP Phone Support for a replacement keyboard to see if that resolves the issue. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the following link to get the support number for your region: Phone Assist Worldwide.

Thanks! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

My left shift key will not capitalize t.  It will capitalize all other letters and even symbols.  Only the t.  The right shift key works fine.  I have tried using two different keyboards and both have the same exact problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.