Should I be able to defragment my system disk (I have laptop dv7-3057nr). It's 11% fragmented. (1730 Views)
Student
sand65
Message 1 of 5 (1,730 Views)

Should I be able to defragment my system disk (I have laptop dv7-3057nr). It's 11% fragmented.

When I try to run the defragmenter I can do my hard drive but not the system disk which is 11% fragmented.  Should I be able to defrag the system disk?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 5 (1,728 Views)

Re: Should I be able to defragment my system disk (I have laptop dv7-3057nr). It's 11% fragmented.

[ Edited ]
Honor Student
ghunterkrone
Message 3 of 5 (1,695 Views)

Re: Should I be able to defragment my system disk (I have laptop dv7-3057nr). It's 11% fragmented.

Diskeeper 2011 has just been released and it is the most advanced defragger on the market. You can download a free trial from their website diskeeper.com. It is the only defragger that prevents most fragmentation from occuring in the first place. It should be able to do what you want.

Byl Top Student
Top Student
Byl
Message 4 of 5 (1,647 Views)

As a rule, the built in will normally not defrag the system drive as it contains system files that are in use while the defrag is in progress.

Defragmenting that partition requires a boot-time defrag which is available via third party defrag programs (but be careful that they will not mess up the VSS copies, as these are related to the System Restore).

Here is a Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

The top placers all will defrag system files and the gold medalist does so with no resource hit and it plays nice with the VSS copies.

Student
alfreddickeson
Message 5 of 5 (594 Views)

sand65 wrote:

When I try to run the defragmenter I can do my hard drive but not the system disk which is 11% fragmented.  Should I be able to defrag the system disk?

I have the same problem anyone have an answer as to why it cannot be done

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation