Question

Honor Student
Howard237
Message 1 of 9 (3,015 Views)

SimplePass Windows Logon

I am unable to make my SimplePass system work with Windows Login.  When I get to the part where it asks me to type in my Windows password, it says "The Windows logon password you entered does not match, Please try again".  Everything else works as far as I can tell.  Have been trying to make Widows login work for two months with no success.  The Biometric Device settings have been set to permit Windows login.  It has the most recent updates to SimplePass, and I have tried changing the logon password.  I can certainly continue to manually type in my password, but I'm getting more curious why it doesn't work with SimplePass.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 9 (2,998 Views)

Re: SimplePass Windows Logon

You might try the following, if you have not already done so...

The REALLY easy part (this may work) --

Method One:

A Hard Reset MAY kick it all back into working order...

Notebooks- Forced Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues- Sealed Non-Removable Battery

Notebooks - Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues - Removable Battery

=============================================================================

Method Two:

• First: Export the Webcard Database

When you have working SimplePass software, Export your Webcards.  In the event that you must remove the SimplePass software, your webcard backup can be used (imported) to restore your website login information.

Start SimplePass > Settings > Export     NOTE:  File will be named *.tsd

=============================================================================

• Next:  Turn OFF the Biometrics

Be aware and pay attention to the warning about the password data.  This will remove your password login data (at the least) and the password login for any other users with accounts on this computer.

Control Panel > view icons > Biometric Devices > Change Biometric Settings > and Turn OFF Biometrics

==============================================================================

• Repair the SImplePass Software

Control Panel > Programs and Features >

Look for this program:

Right-Click on HP SimplePass
Select "Repair"

• Reboot / Restart the computer and log in

==============================================================================

• Next:  Turn ON the Biometrics

Control Panel > Biometric Devices > Change Biometric Settings > and Turn ON Biometrics

• Reboot / Restart the computer and log in

• Start up SimplePass and set up your Login information
  • Reboot - again...
  • If necessary, Import your .tsd Webcard backup file

If you are lucky, this will work and you will not have to add the step of actually removing and reinstalling the SimplePass software...

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
Howard237
Message 3 of 9 (2,976 Views)

I tried all of your suggestions.  I really appreciate all the ideas and very
good instructions you presented.  Unfortunately
none of them cured the problem.  At this
point it would seem that the final process of removing and re-installing HP
SimplePass cause me to revert to an older version because Windows Logon is no
longer presented as an option in the different looking SimplePass program.  I do however appreciate your effort at
trying to resolve this issue.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 9 (2,974 Views)

You can probably update to a more recent version of SimplePass.  Most systems will run on the latest version.

Product Number?

Locate the Notebook Product Number

OR

On your keyboard (Use the built-in keyboard, and not an external / USB controlled device):

• Press the FN and ESC keys at the same time

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
Howard237
Message 5 of 9 (2,971 Views)

Thank you again...  I have restored the original version of HP SimplePass.  (a copy was backed up on the hard drive) Unfortunately, it still gives me the same original error message.  I guess having to manually log onto Windows will be acceptable.  I sure appreciate the effort you put into fixing this issue.  And Hey...  That is a neat trick pushing the Fn and Esc keys to see all the computer information!

Regards, Howard

Honor Student
Howard237
Message 6 of 9 (2,965 Views)

Just had another thought regarding the Windows
Logon.  I am convinced that there is an
error in the SimplePass program by Authentec. 
This same program will permit me to use my windows logon in place of
swiping my finger.  So it seems
illogical that it refuses to recognize it for the Windows logon.  How can I re-install the original program
that came with computer when it was new? 
It actually worked before I allowed HP to install the software updates
about two months ago.

Thanks in advance.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 7 of 9 (2,975 Views)

[ Edited ]

There may well be "something" in the AuthenTec, or any, version of HP SimplePass that "in error".  Code is close to the rarified air of perfection at times, but programmers only dream of breathing it.  Smiling.

There are two versions of "latest" (at writing):

• AuthenTec HP SimplePass V6.0.100.252 from AuthenTec (defunct now that Apple grabbed it)

SimplePass HPLite32_build_5.4.0.620

• HP SimplePass V6.0.100.257 -- latest version, that runs on Windows 7 and Windows 8

sp59664 HP SimplePass V6.0.100.257 Win7-8

Most usually, one can use the Validity Sensor Driver that one has -- If there is an driver update availble for the computer, then it is usually a good thing to update.

Still do not have that Product number... ?

OK... You can get back YOUR original HP SimplePass version by grabbing it from your Recovery Manager:

Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)

HP PCs - Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)

You may want to reinstall your Validity Sensor Driver -- then a reboot.

This is after turning back on the Biometrics.

Helpful Guide:

Guide to the Notebook Fingerprint Sensor - HP SimplePass  V6

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
Joe_a
Message 8 of 9 (1,746 Views)

Hello Dragon-Fur et all, 

I have an HP EliteBook 8560w running Windows 8.1. 

I want to setup Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit to login with the finger print sensor - I am not sure whether the instructions or proposed solutions apply to this OS. 

1. I don't see a Biometric Settings item in the "Control Panel" not sure if this is a problem in win 8.1 

2. Got the link to this post from @hpsupport - Installed SimplePass 6.0.100.257

2.1 I launch the app, enter the Windows login the app lets me in. 

2.2 I click on "Setup Windows Login", then enter my windows password, turns out the app won't accept my Windows password!...   

I look at the Personal settings and found the Windows Login feature is not enabled or activated.  Is this preventing the app from accepting my windows password? 

SimplePass_personal_settings.JPG

Apppreciate some help getting my machine working.  Sorry if you have described this issue in some other posting, but appreciate a pointer to where/how I can fix this. 

thanks

Joe 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 9 of 9 (1,723 Views)

Hi Joe,

The fingerprint login works differently on Windows 8.1 -- the windows login portion is apparently now built into Windows.  I would suspect that given proper driver to support the fingerprinter, that one can use that built in Windows login feature to at least allow the user to get into Windows using the native software.

Regarding the login security software from HP:

You have a business system and not a consumer style notebook.

This means that your computer should be running the HP ProtectTools security software -- and not SimplePass.

My own notebooks run HP SimplePass.  Ordinarily, the fingerprint security programs are exclusive to their respective hardware.  This means that you should run the program set written for your computer type.

You MIGHT be able to get HP SimplePass to work on the HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation.  I have not heard of this working; it does not mean that someone won't figure out how to do it.

At writing:  I have not found a version of HP ProtectTools updated for Windows 8.1.  You might be able to use the version intended for Windows 7 and run that version in compatibility mode.

HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation - search protecttools results

Software and Drivers Page:

HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation - Software and Drivers Windows 8

Regardless, you must have a proper driver.  You might be able to use the driver you have now -- do not update the driver until you have discovered a compelling reason to do so.

I can offer the following sp63798 - Validity Sensor Win8.1 driver that is for a similar model Elitebook notebook .

This Driver is designated for the following Biometric Devices:

USB\VID_138A&PID_003C="Validity Fingerprint Sensor"
USB\VID_138A&PID_003D="Validity Fingerprint Sensor"
USB\VID_138A&PID_0007="Validity Fingerprint Sensor"
USB\VID_138A&PID_003F="Validity Fingerprint Sensor"

For help in detecting your Biometric Device hardweare ID, look for and open the file named:

Driver Hardware Ids of Biometric Device

I know this is not what you hoped to hear in response to your questions - you might wish to start a new Thread about your subject.  One of our business notebook Experts might be able to help.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation