Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you for letting me know.

HP Recommended

Hello, are there any updates on this request from last month? Thank you.

HP Recommended

How did you update your BIOS.

Currently I'm trying to do it but when you run it from Windows it wants me to make a USB Drive that it won't boot from.

Its almost as if the bios is locked.... did you have to disable TPM or anythign to update your bios?

HP Recommended

I downloaded the BIOS update from the HP site, ran it, and it updated the BIOS upon restart. No USB required, and I'm not sure why your process is different.  THAT SAID, the version I used isn't actually an update - it was the version that came with my system. 

Sadly, HP has yet to address this problem that I'm aware of, and has been incredibly slow and unresponsive on this thread. It's seeming more and more like this will be the last HP product I purchase, which is too bad since the hardware on this particular laptop is quite nice.

HP Recommended

I do not have an update yet, but expect one shortly! Please stay tuned (and don't assume that no news up till now means we're "unresponsive" - it just means nothing new to report...yet). 🙂 

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

The following BIOS update should let you turnoff the password beep:

File name: sp71197.exe

Release details

Released: Apr 21, 2015

Version F.12 Rev.A

Fix and enhancements

- Fixes an intermittent issue which causes the system to shutdown unexpectedly.
- Fixes an intermittent issue where the system displays a fan fault alert message in error when the fan is functioning properly.- Provides an improved help message for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) state in the F10 BIOS setup option.
-Provides the ability to enable or disable the audible password prompt (beep) for the BIOS administrator login or Power-On Password. The audible prompt is disabled when the Power On Self-Test (POST) Hotkey Delay setting is set to 0.

(Please ensure that this is the correct BIOS update softpaq for your particular model, but note the last fix listed.)

I did promise to update you when I was sure that there was a solution. I hope this works well for you!
------------

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the fix.

HP Recommended

I'm so glad we were able to do that for you! (I'm pretty noise-sensitive, myself, so I understand!)

Sorry it couldn't happen more quickly, but whenever updates are made (and as you can see from the release notes), multiple changes may be under investigation/development and all need to undergo careful testing before release. I'm pretty sure no one would want it any other way.

------------

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have now purchased a new Spectre x360 (13-4105x) to replace my previous model.  To my surprise, the same BIOS problem has emerged.

To recap: I turned on the start-up password in the BIOS and now  a very loud beep is heard upon startup. I require the BIOS password for security reasons.

I have upgraded the BIOS to the most current version available (F.2F Rev.A Jan. 9).

As before, I am asking if you can please provide a BIOS release that allows the option to turn off the loud beep (or one that eliminates it entirely). I cannot turn on my laptop around my newborn baby because of this, and I would hate to have to return this laptop over such an easily avoidable problem.

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.