Question

Student
Hol1990
Message 1 of 15 (14,490 Views)

Start Up Problem- HP Pavilion dv6

Bought my HP laptop in March this year and over the past 2-3 months I am having a problem on start-up- when I press the power button to turn on the laptop it takes two or three goes for it to actually turn the laptop on; most of the time the laptop makes sounds as if it is turning on and the lights appear but then it just goes off again. I am holding down the power button firmly and for long enough so I don't understand what the problem is; this happens whether the laptop is plugged in or on battery. Anyone else having the same prob?

Top Student
ladyrebel113065
Message 2 of 15 (14,409 Views)

Re: Start Up Problem- HP Pavilion dv6

From what I've been reading, a lot of people are having this problem with various different laptops but HP isn't even bothering to give any help or solutions. I have a dv7 3079 wm Entertainment PC that'ss doing the exact same thing and I can't get an answer whatsoever as to what the problem is. I have my suspicions, but don't know if it's worth the money to fix it or not and would like an idea as to what may be wrong before I decide.

Student
Greenhouze
Message 3 of 15 (14,245 Views)

Having the same issue with the start-up of my 11 monh old dv6 lap-top.

It will not advance beyond the screen that shows the "HP invent"  prompt. I can turn it on and off and it sounds like its making the effort to start, but it freezes at start-up. Anyone knows if there is a fix.

I will never buy an HP product again. Apple will be my be next purchase after dealing with this POS company

Honor Student
Eddmech
Message 4 of 15 (14,223 Views)

Is Your laptop running the bios, by any chance?  Or, can you hear the hard drive starting up? Or, if your laptop has one, does the SD card slot light stay illuminated?

Top Student
ladyrebel113065
Message 5 of 15 (14,218 Views)

I also have an HP dv7-3079wm and am having the exact same problem. I was informed that it was due to a faulty mb and HP refuses to acknowledge the problem, even though several different models of their laptops are experiencing the same problem. I have recently been included into a huge class-action lawsuit against HP regarding this issue.

Top Student
ladyrebel113065
Message 6 of 15 (14,216 Views)

The laptop never even stays on long enough for anything to boot up, not even the bios. It just gives a short whirring noise like the fan is trying to run, but then it dies. There are no beeps or anything.

Honor Student
nstoegbauer
Message 7 of 15 (14,027 Views)

I had the same problem with my HP Pavilion Entertainment dv7and sent it in while under warranty. They "duplicated" the problem and attempted to fix it. They repaired/replaced the system board, thermal pad and heatsink fan. I have only had it for a year!

After a month, the problem came back... well, my laptop is scheduled to go back in this week but only the work they did is under warranty. If they call me and say the repair is not under warranty, they will have a raging redhead at their heels because the problem was obviously not fixed the first time when it was still under warranty. 

Any insight of what the true problem is? When I was on HP Support for hours, they had me do a battery drain and checked my BIOS. They mentioned something about reseating my RAM but idk. This blows.

Honor Student
haremure
Message 8 of 15 (12,359 Views)

Re: Start Up Problem- HP Pavilion dv6 ( SOLUTION)

hi everybody! i had the same prob in my 2011 edition dv6t series (i5 2nd gen). when i press the on button,the hp logo first comes and after that nothing appears.the screen is blacked out. that windows 7 boot is not coming only. if somebody have the same prob,try this....it will 99.99% work and worked for mine :smileyvery-happy:

when the hp logo will come,quickly before that dissapears,double press the escape button.boot menu will be opened.go to windows memory diagnosis tool.wait for the process to complete,when it will be completed,the boot screen of windows 7 will come. if a simple boot with only microsoft corporation text will come,then wait.after that,windows startup repair will be started.quickly cancel it or otherwise later on it will not  be cancelled.after cancelling,your ''starting windows'' boot screen will come:smileyvery-happy:   i hope this will work.and yes, keep pressing the power button to direct switch of the laptop.  i dont think that hp is serious about this,i also have old compaq presario cpu and laptop,and 1 dv1000 laptop.these all have windows xp and are exallent! no complains against them.OLD IS GOLD   :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
haremure
Message 9 of 15 (12,357 Views)

yes ur right, i will also buy lenovo or macbook next time.... hp sucks!!!!    :smileymad:

Honor Student
haremure
Message 10 of 15 (12,356 Views)

reply to hol1990.......

i had the same problem in my very old ibm netbook pro 1993123 k series.......

it had windows 2000.  i trashed it after the 6 months the prob came....

but the netbook worked for 3 yrs! it was good according to yr 2003

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation