Stuck at "windows is loading files" when doing a system restore. (12280 Views)
Honor Student
terrilins
Message 1 of 6 (12,280 Views)

Stuck at "windows is loading files" when doing a system restore.

HELP!

I am trying to revert my son's HP Pavilon dv6000 to the original factory settings.  I have gone through the recovery manager and hit the F11 button and both times I get stuck at "windows is loading files".  I realize that it takes a while to do this...(*hours), but I let his computer run all night and when I got up it was still stuck there.  He does have a TON of games and programs on his computer which is causing it to run slow and that is why we are restoring it.  Can someone help me or tell me how to get it past the windows is loading files?

Thanks!

Terri~

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (12,276 Views)

Re: Stuck at "windows is loading files" when doing a system restore.

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for a full minute.  Then re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter and see if this helps the issue.

If the above doesn't help, tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.  If either of these tests report an error, post back with the error message.

If the above tests both pass, do you have your set of Recovery DVDs?  If you do, try using these to reinstall the OS.  If you haven't created a set of Recovery DVDs, you will need to order a replacement set of Recovery Discs from HP on the link below - I believe there is a delivery charge for this.

HP Recovery Discs

If you have any trouble with the above link, order them directly from HP Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
terrilins
Message 3 of 6 (12,264 Views)

The first option didn't work. I then tried the second option and this error came up saying...

Test Status:           #1-07 Fail

so if you have any suggestions on how i could go about this please post.

Thanks!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (12,260 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The test result you've posted back indicates the Hard Drive is failing and this is consistant with the problems you have been experiencing.  It is possible that there are other issues involved as the dv6000 series did have some problems.  However, replacing the Hard Drive is fairly straight forward and not too expensive so if you would like a guide on how to do this, please let me know.  Please include the full Model No. and Part No. of your notebook and the size of the Hard Drive you currently have installed if you know it.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
tobacco
Message 5 of 6 (9,406 Views)

I have a laptop hp and it is doing the similar thing. I do not have any disk for the windows either?!?
Honor Student
tobacco
Message 6 of 6 (9,405 Views)

Hdx16 product no nk133av
There is a Microsoft proof of certificate authenticity but I don't see any numbers for the key?!?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation