Stuck key? (6023 Views)
Tutor
KingRoach
Message 1 of 11 (6,023 Views)

Stuck key?

Hi,

I slept yesterday and left my dm1-1110sa on all night. This morning, I  woke up, turned it off, went down town, came back home, turned it on and all of a sudden, the R key rolling as if the key is stuck.

I did not spill anything on the keyboard, and it was working perfectly until today. There is absolutely no reason why this would happen, so what is the problem? It does seem to be physical since, if I thump the button a little, it stops, but then it rolls back again. It has to be physical.

Is there a way to remove a single key for cleaning (the laptop is generally very clean, but you never know) or do I have to remove the whole keyboard?

How do I remove the keyboard without voiding warranty?

I insist: I have spilled nothing on it, and it all seem to have happened by itself. thumping the key is like a wake up slap to the face, it brings sanity back for a while, but then the buttom goes back to rolling. It definily seems physical even though I can't explain it. There's no reason.

Has anyone ever had a problem with the keyboard on DM1's?

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 2 of 11 (6,004 Views)

Re: Stuck key?

Never heard about an issue with dm's keyboard..

Try reinstalling the keyboard driver, uninstall it from device manager then restart the laptop. You can also try the key on the command prompt of the recovery partition.

If its under warranty, let HP repair it for you.. Do not do it yourself, it will void the warranty.

Tutor
KingRoach
Message 3 of 11 (5,999 Views)

I tried the keyboard in BIOS; same porblem, it can't be the drivers.

I picked up the plastic key to clean under it. Just like I expected, it's clean, and there's nothing wrong under it. It seems to be a problem with the inner flats.

I don't have the reciept for this lapop, but HP Assistant Software does still say iit has warranty until Feb 2011.

Another key has a cosmetic poblem, which is old and not caused by me. How do I porve that to them so they don't link the two things together and say NO, YOU'RE A BAD USER AND YOU RUINED YOUR OWN KEYBOARD. No fixing for you. You'll have to pay.

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 4 of 11 (5,988 Views)

Ok, what country are you located? Your gonna have an issue calling HP with that. They'l tell you what you just said. But its just a matter of customer's honesty. Make them believe that its not really a customer induced damage. But the thing is, you might be contacted by service center people about the keyboard once they have it. And yeah, chances are you have to pay for the repair.

Good luck, you know what to do if they dont believe you..

Tutor
KingRoach
Message 5 of 11 (5,977 Views)

I'm in Nottingham, UK. Is there a centre near by?

Even if it's covered by warranty, if I have to ship the unit back and forth at my expense ANYWHERE in the UK, I'll have to pay more than the cost of a new keyboard! So I hope there's a centre near by.

What is the closes centre to me? (I looked on the website, but I'm not sure of what I saw. Is there really  no service centre in Nottingham? I'm not British anyway; new here, so still don't know how far each city is.)

How much would it cost for a fix? (the button is alright. if there's a problem it's on a lower level)

How much does a whole new keyboard cost?

Truth is, I'm not the one who bought the computer, and therefore I'm not the one who caused the cosmetic scratch on hte "down" button. The person I got the mini from said it was just cosmetic, and upon inspection and test, that is true. The mini's had absolutely no problems until this R key decided to **bleep** up for now obvious reason. I don't think they're connected in anyway.

If warranty is void, I'll try to fix it myself. I usually fix my own things, but as a rule, I don't touch things under warranty, The problem here is that I cannot affort to wait on the unit for, say, a week or two, as I need it for my MA studies.

What is the quickest way to make sure of things in my situation? A live chat with an HP agent? Are there chat agents in Britain?

I have just remembered when I had the Touchsmart TX. It had this common problem when you shut it down in slate mode. If you turn it on like that, the BIOS will not see the keyboard, and therefore you don't have a keyboard until you turn it off, remove battery, put it back to normal laptop mode, and then turn it on like that. It occurred to me, since there's no physical evidence that the key or its mechanism is damaged, that it might be a similar problem, but I'm telling myself it's not because the key's behaviour is no consistent. The system will boot with it rolling, I thump it, it stops. I type a little, it rolls, sometimes it wont' work at all. Other times it wont' stop rolling. There is absolutely no reason for that.

Yesterday, I made sure the botton wasn't rolling and I opened notepad and left it there. Nothing was happening. Five minutes later, it suddenly started and I had a notepad window full of r's. Completely weird. Think a halloween boo is trying to give me a message?

Tutor
KingRoach
Message 6 of 11 (5,959 Views)

[ Edited ]

OMG I've just noticed something else!

While all other keys but r work fine orn their own....

And just like the r button is moody and would sometimes roll non-stop, sometimes not work at all, and sometimes work just fine, I've also noticed this phenomena:

With left shift, (v) won't work.

With right shift (t), (f), (g), (v), (b), (4), (5) won't work. Notice their placement, they're on the same line.

While this could possibly relate to a problem with the flates and the way buttons are connected, it could also relate to a problem with the keyboard controller. Otherwise the Shift button behaviour wouldn't be explicable.

Please advice me on the best course of action to take now, where the closest HP service centre is for Nottingham, how long it takes for the people there to check it out and hopefully fix it, and the estimate minimum cost I should expect.

Also if the sourse of the problem can be verified without my sending it to HP, and in case the solution is to change the keyboard, whether I can order a keyboard by mail and change it myself, as I may not be able to afford neither shipping the computer, nor parting with it for any number of days.

Here, I thought I'd leave you a sample of what I'm struggling with here. This is a sample of writing without me going back every second to clear and unwanted r a million times before I can go on to the next word/letter.

[[With lrefrtr srhifrtr,r rorh hrearyr I rthourght tor leavrer yrou ar samprler orrrf wraht typrerirng ferelrs lirker trhirs thirs problemr rI hrave here.]]

It reads: "With left shift, ... I thought to leave you a sample of what typing feels like [with] this problem I have here."

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 7 of 11 (5,934 Views)

Now i know how you struggle just trying to get help on this.. Sorry for that.

As for service center in UK, i found parkplace technology and their number is 877 778 8707. I dont really have any access to any HP service center in the world, i just have the net as my resources.

Now, this is HP tech support number in UK 0844 369 0369, call them up but it will require service. You'll loose the laptop for a week.

Estimate repair for the keyboard for north american consumer is around $298. I just dont know the numbers for UK.

Tutor
KingRoach
Message 8 of 11 (5,902 Views)

I asked around, and it seems they're teamed up with the TechGuys in Currys Digital and PC World branches. I had correspondece with HP on Chat and on Email, until I had the info I needed, and we've isolated the problem as being related to hardware. (I had also tested the keyboard in BIOS).. so I was preparing myself to just carry the laptop to the branch when suddenly...

It stopped. :smileyindifferent:

It just stopped. It's working well now. WTF? I really don't have a problem with my keyboard failing, I don't have a problem having a laptop that is fixed/refurbished, I don't have a problem even with a laptop that is fixed without warranty, I don't even have a problem with a laptop that is broken to pieces! The only real thing that troubles me is not knowing what's going on!

The keyboard's been doing well for a couple days now, and I really have no explanation whatsoever why this happened at all.

Anyway, I can't take the laptop to servicing anymore now that it shows no symptoms. But I'll keep a link to this forum thread, my Chat SR ID with HP, and my correspondence with their support service, just in case this happens again. If it does, I'll keep you updated.

Thank you all.

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 9 of 11 (5,874 Views)

Ok, well thats weird..:smileyvery-happy:

Keep your fingers crossed and hope that its fixed for good..

Keep us updated if it happens again..

Student
Aimarsam
Message 10 of 11 (1,758 Views)

Im right now having the  same problem...im going crazy. I have a dm4. The other keys work just fine. It's that 'r'. Weird thing is....when its turning on and you have to write the password.....everything works fine. Until it finishes booting up. Still dont have an idea what caused it??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation