Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion dv4-1123US has suddenly started typing every keystroke twice.  I get double letters for everything typed.  This is happening for every key, letters, numbers, backspace, cap lock.  PPAASSWWOORRDD.  Etc.  I am forced to use a virtual keyboard that came with Kaspersky Internet Security.

I tried uninstalling the device driver for the keyboard in Device manager and letting Windows reinstall it during reboot.  This did not work.

I running Windows 7 64-bit.

Anyone else having this issue?  How can I fix it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi all, 

You may come across the "keyboard typing doble letters" or "keyboard repeating the same characters". The Windows 10 PC keyboard automatically types into a repeated letter after you finish your typing, and then you get double letters on the screen.

:Arrow_Right:First, you can check this steps: HP PCs - Keyboard Issue 

doble letters.png

:Arrow_Right:You can check the driver updates: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

This might be with the keyboard settings. Click Start, Control Panel and open Keyboard Properties. Try to change the Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate settings which should solve your issue.

capture.jpg

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

I set both sliders to the mininum setting.  That is long delay and slowest repeat rate.

It didn't work.   There was an effect when I held the key down.  That was much slower but I still get double characters when typing.

I'm using my desktop for this post.  I have to use the virtual keyboard that came with Kaspersky Internet security to do any typing on on HP laptop.

In device manager shows Windows 7 64 bit is using the driver for a Standard PS/2 keyboard.   Is that correct?

Does HP have a better driver I should be using.

Everything was working well until I unplugged my HP Pavillion to pack it for a trip.  I decided not to take it after all so it sat for a weekend and drained the battery all the way down.  Since then I've  noticed the double letters when typing.    Windows did say it was shut down improperly...probably when the battery ran out...and needed to do a repair.

After the windows 7 reparied itself I've had the issue.  I've tired removing the keyboard from the device manager and letting Windows reinstall it.  It didn't work.

HP Recommended

I set both sliders to the mininum setting.  That is long delay and slowest repeat rate.

It didn't work.   There was an effect when I held the key down.  That was much slower but I still get double characters when typing.

I'm using my desktop for this post.  I have to use the virtual keyboard that came with Kaspersky Internet security to do any typing on on HP laptop.

In device manager shows Windows 7 64 bit is using the driver for a Standard PS/2 keyboard.   Is that correct?

Does HP have a better driver I should be using.

Everything was working well until I unplugged my HP Pavillion to pack it for a trip.  I decided not to take it after all so it sat for a weekend and drained the battery all the way down.  Since then I've  noticed the double letters when typing.    Windows did say it was shut down improperly...probably when the battery ran out...and needed to do a repair.

After the windows 7 reparied itself I've had the issue.  I've tired removing the keyboard from the device manager and letting Windows reinstall it.  It didn't work.

HP Recommended

Take all the key off your keyboard clean all the stuff below them i had the same problem i fixed ti by doing what i said before and also replace your batteries if using a keyboard that requires such a funtion.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have tried every fix on every board from shift-f11 to holding both shift keys to checking keyboard language to updating bios. Aparently HP does not have a fix. I am sending my g series notebook laptop back for the second time. 

HP Recommended

I have a feeling this is come kind of virus. I have a HP Touchsmart and occasionally I will get double letters appearing or nothing and I have to hit the key over and over again until the letter types. Right now I am not having the issue at all but a few minutes ago I was.  Has anyone heard of a virus that causes this to happen?

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue as hellohoffman. Sometimes my 'e' key will give double letters and other times I have to hit it multiple times to get it to work. Sometimes it works fine though... Any help or advice would be awesome.

HP Recommended

One edit to my last post, I'm using a HP Pavilion laptop with windows 7.

HP Recommended

There is a quick fix for this problem. recall a date where this is working fine and run a System Restore. Case close. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.