Superfetch (127 Views)
Student
RebelHeart926
Message 1 of 2 (127 Views)

Superfetch

HP G71 Notebook - Put my laptop in sleep mode. when I attempted to bring it back up it locked up.  Turned it off, brought it back up in SAFE mode & ran the follow: Primary Hard Disk Self Check- passed. Smart Check - Passed, Start-up Test (system memory) - passed,  Run In Test - passed.  Brought it back up in SAFE MODE (but it took several min.  approx. 10)  after everything was up did a Restart  (took  approx 20 minutes)  Ran a Performance TroubleShooting Test -  Reported SuperFetch was not running.  How can I turn SuperFetch on and where do I find it .  Can you please give me step by step instructions.  Thank ahead of time for you help.

Associate Professor
parvez_tech
Message 2 of 2 (113 Views)

Re: Superfetch

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You can follow these steps to check if Superfetch is enabled..

i) Type Services.msc in the Start Search box as shown in the pic below and then select Services.msc-

services.PNG

ii) In the Services screen click on any of the services and then press S. Under S look for Superfetch.

Superfetch should show Automatic or enabled. If not  then double click Superfetch and then change the Startup Type to Automatic.

By default it should always be automatic for best performance. Once Automatic is selected Click on the Start button under Service Status and then click Apply and Ok. Restart the Computer and check if it is better.

Superfetch2.PNG

If the boot process is still slow then you can perform a clean boot as mentioned in the steps below:

Try loading to Safe Mode with Networking and check if is slow there as well.

How to Enter Safe Mode With Networking

Once in Safe Mode with Networking do a clean startup 

How to do a clean startup: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Check the difference in performance while in normal mode and safe mode. If it works fine in Safe Mode then most likely a software issue or virus issue. 

If the system is still slow in Safe Mode then run a hard drive diagnostics and Let me know what happens..

Here are the link with the steps to perform System Diagnostics on the hard drive:

System Diagnostics (F2)

Or,

Perform Hard Drive Tests

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
**Click on “Kudos” Star if you think this reply helped**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation