Question

Student
joenathan712
Message 1 of 10 (669 Views)

Support is horrible!! HP has the worst support ever!

Going along with the other threads of 'worst support' stories, I figured I would let my frustration out here as well.

Scenario 1:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I worked on a Pavilion notebook.  The answer was simple.  Harddrive failed.  Here are the symptoms: 

1.  Extremely slow to operate

2.  Chkdsk indicated unreadable sectors.

3.  Harddrive is making a very loud noticeable repetitive clicking noise.

The moment I call HP and tell them this, the response should be, "Ok sir, we will ship out a replacement harddrive".  Does this happen?  NO.  The technician actually wanted me to go through the step of formatting the harddrive, and not just formatting, but a low-level format.  I was on the phone for at least half an hour arguing with this guy.  ANYONE with common sense, technicaal and non-technical common sense, would know from the symptoms above, the harddrive (hardware) is at fault and should be replaced without any further interaction. 

Yes, I could have used the hardware diagnostics to show there was a failure, but the diagnostics would not complete.  It hung.  Would not return a fault OR complete code.

Scenario 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm a certified IT consultant, (A+, Net+, Microsoft MCITP) with 6 years experience in the field.  Had a customer with a compaq slimline.  Got a call for no network/internet connectivity.  I check it out.  It shows that the cable is unplugged.  BUT physically, it WAS plugged in.  I tested the line and the patch cable.  Both certified.  Check the port on the switch.  Switch port working fine.  I was able to plug in another desktop and a laptop, and THEY WORKED.  I plug this computer into another switch... same deal.  Windows says no cable plugged in.  I do a restore, same thing.  I update the drivers, no change.  I checked the BIOS, its active.  I even found a firmware update.  I applied the firmware update.  Still did not work.  Again, with all this troubleshooting, any one with common sense would know that the NIC on the motherboard is bad... which means... replace the motherboard.  Simple solution?  To HP, there is no simple solution.  No, after stating to the HP technician I called (different from the last scenario), AND having to repeat every step at least 3 times because she could not understand plain English, she had me go through the steps AGAIN regardless of what I had done.  OH, but what REALLY set me off, was the last step.  She actually wanted me to change Internet Explorer settings after all that.  Ridiculous!!!  After I went off, she hung up the phone.  I called back, with the case number and submitted a formal complaint about wasting 2 hours with this person. 

Instead of shipping me a motherboard, the next tech said he could ship a box to return the product to get it serviced.  Outrageous!!  This was a business class machine and I could not afford to ship it off, wait 2 weeks for them to ship it back.  The fastest way to get this done would be to ship me the part.  Anytime I call Dell or Gateway (R.I.P), Lenovo, IBM, etc. for a similar problem, they have ALWAYS shipped me motherboards.  NEVER have I ever had to ship a unit back to get repaired.  I told the director about this fiasco.  She is now buying all Dells.

The bottom line is this.  HP NEEDS TO WAKE UP!  People are unhappy with the service because of poor communication, lack of service skills, and lack of technical skills.  People/businesses everywhere are highly dependent on technology that they need working.  Yes technology isn't perfect, IT technicians can't all be maytag men.  It will break... and when it does the manufacturer needs to uphold it's end... espeically when people pay extra for extended warranties... to get it fixed in a timely fashion.  It's outrageous the hoops we have to jump through just to get everything back up and working.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 10 (659 Views)

Re: Support is horrible!! HP has the worst support ever!

joenathan712 wrote:

Instead of shipping me a motherboard, the next tech said he could ship a box to return the product to get it serviced.  Outrageous!!  This was a business class machine and I could not afford to ship it off, wait 2 weeks for them to ship it back.  The fastest way to get this done would be to ship me the part.  Anytime I call Dell or Gateway (R.I.P), Lenovo, IBM, etc. for a similar problem, they have ALWAYS shipped me motherboards.  NEVER have I ever had to ship a unit back to get repaired.  I told the director about this fiasco.  She is now buying all Dells.

Everyone I know in the PC support business is moving away from HP for this very reason. Its like they forgot what people depend on their PCs for, people cannot simply live without their PC for a month while HP repairs it.

Sorry about your troubles.

PhD Student
Knute
Message 3 of 10 (642 Views)

I never have this issue frankly, maybe because my company is business partners with HP?  Normally in my troubleshooting I'll note something like 'tested with known good system board, issue resolved, new system board needed'.  However I have noticed on some laptops that error out in BIOS HD testing that a low-level format followed by a re-test will result in the HD passing.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Associate Dean
    Mumbodog
    Message 4 of 10 (640 Views)

Knute wrote:

I never have this issue frankly, maybe because my company is business partners with HP? 

Most likely has something to do with it.

Dell on the other hand does not play these games, I am an end user, I had a Vostro 200 Desktop, the DVD drive died under warranty, called Dell with the test results, they said they would send a technician to my house to replace the drive, and no I did not have any special warranty either just the basic 1 year, I said, save your gas Dell, ship me the part and I will replace it and send the defect back. They had it shipped to my house the Next Day, I swapped it and shipped the defective unit back to them that same day using the prepaid label, now thats how you do business.

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 5 of 10 (633 Views)

I agree, and for us that is how it works with HP.  My thoughts go out to all the techs who have these nightmares and I am thankful I don't.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Top Student
    tooey
    Message 6 of 10 (614 Views)

heh take a look at this one...   my hdd screws came loose cuz they were never installed tight enuf..  one got loose in the laptop

2screwsloosecircled.JPG

yup those 2 fell right off when hdd was lifted out of the case cause they had backed out so far as that the case was the only thing left holding them in. ..  leaving one loose screw hodling the bracketry on.  the other is playing hide and seek somewhere in there..  now go ahead and tell me screws are supposed to be able to come this loose if properly installed..   and note theres no loctite on them..

The big bunch of baloney is when a case manager told me that this is in no way a production mistake..  OMG!! really?!?!.. HP means to tell me that screws are meant to work thier way loose and fall inside the case and rattle around until they short the whole unit out!  wow talk about planned obsolescence. 

one i can understand but all 4...  someone was asleep at the job its obivous..  but to say that it wasent a production mistake is beyond words..

Associate Dean
    Mumbodog
    Message 7 of 10 (599 Views)

I upgraded my G62 hard drive when I first got it August of 2010, before I even turned it on for the first time. Fresh out of the box and when flipping the notebook over to remove the HD cover, I heard a screw rolling around inside the notebook, not a good sound, it finally lodged somewhere and stopped rolling around, I will disassemble it sometime in the future to find it, I don't use it as a portable so I don't think it will be a problem.

When I removed the hard drive there was 1 screw missing from the bracket, gee I wonder where it is?

So yes they not only leave screws loose, the leave them out and rolling around inside the notebook.

Did not think to get pictures.

Honor Student
    NYC_consultant
    Message 8 of 10 (577 Views)

Joenathan712,

Was your tech support routed to CHina?

Honor Student
    missbri712
    Message 9 of 10 (159 Views)

Agreed. All I need is to know how to connect my printer to my laptop and i have already been transfered to 6 people and I am still on the phone as a write (that is after the "line dropped" several times). Oh and by the way appearently there is no direct lines to any department so if they hang up on you, you have to start again at person 1. It seems like nobody knows anything or you cant understand them due to a strong language barrier. Its enough to make me want to return my new laptop and purchase something else. 

Tutor
    oldenuf2burdad3
    Message 10 of 10 (143 Views)

Lol...Its funny how when i have call HP, I  got the SAME  so called expert or experts you did. Same run around,same circles you spun and went NOWHERE, HP's simple solution to most issues, is to TAKE IT BACK and have it REPAIRED costing more time and money to the consumer. REPAIRING A BRAND NEW COMPUTER,is insane!! HP should consider fixing the JUNK they already have,rather then trying to screw over the consumer with JUNK.:smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation