Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

On the HP Pavilion, I want to be able to press F5 for Refresh.

Instead, I have to push fn+F5 to refresh.

How can I switch this around so I don't have to hold fn everytime I want to access a function key?  This is truly annoying for both games and applications.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

As the computer starts, press [esc] when the message "Press The ESC Key for Startup Menu" appears in the lower-left corner of the screen. Press F10 to enter BIOS Setup. Press [Right Arrow] three times to highlight "System Configuration," and [Down Arrow] three times to highlight "Action Keys Mode." Press [F5] to change Actions Keys Mode to <Disabled>, then press [F10] to Save and Exit. Press [enter] to save changes.

source: item #30 by Tinderbox (UK) from http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=435660&page=3

HP Recommended

Great advise! Thanks

You need to press down arrow four times on a dv7 though :Wink:

HP Recommended

I have a dv7 and it doesn't respond to the esc key at startup. No reslut with Fn+Esc either. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Only some computers will have the ESC key option at startup. At first, my computer didn't have it, but since I installed a second OS onto my computer, the option showed up. You have to modify your computer some way first.

HP Recommended

I just hit the Esc key several times from I turned on the machine and then it worked.

HP Recommended

any other ways to solve this problem, to change this settings?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as soon as you press the power button to access the Bios Menu and then make the setting change shown in the document in the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.