Question

Honor Student
Rach85
Message 1 of 6 (20,922 Views)

Synaptics Touchpad not Scrolling

[ Edited ]

Hi there...

My touchpad for Compaq Presario C582TU Notebook wont scroll "up and down" "left to right" anymore. Its been like this for a while now but its getting really annoying having to use the up and down arrows all the time..

I have checked out many posts regarding this matter but im so confused!!!!

I have tried to see the settings in control panel but it tells me "Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Software" then opens up the box... but in DEVICE SETTINGS there's nothing there!!!

Do I have to uninstall and reinstall something for the touchpad... if I unistall it, my touchpad wont work til i re install right so how will i be able to move around with the mouse?

Thanks in advance for any advice :-) Much appreciated!!!

PS: I have Windows Vista Basic... Compaq Presario C582TU Notebook!!!

Message Edited by Rach85 on 10-22-2009 03:41 PM
Intern
bertbear50
Message 2 of 6 (20,909 Views)

Re: Synaptics Touchpad not Scrolling

I think Vista has a basic driver for your touchpad, that the system will default to after uninstalling the Touchpad software. If not, you could use a USB mouse in place of the touchpad... 
PhD Student
Gangles
Message 3 of 6 (20,907 Views)

Touchpad Driver for your model

All the drivers for your model

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
Rach85
Message 4 of 6 (20,894 Views)

Its all good :-) I went into Control Panel.... Device Manager.... under Mice and Other Pointing Devices..... Synaptics.... Right-click and UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE....

Restart and it worked like a charm :-)

I wrote all that ^^^^ just in case someone has the same prob as I did :-)

Thanks anyway!!!!!!!!

Top Student
Audicyguy
Message 5 of 6 (20,761 Views)

On CQ60-420US Vista Home Premium Intel dual processor

I have followed these suggestions at least 4 or 5 times. Update drivers works for a while then back to no scrolling. When updating there are half a dozen listings for the same synaptics driver. I have been online with HP support and they pushed drivers, which are the same as already installed. According to the agent, the next step, if it keeps failing, is to send the confuser in for warranty reinstall of the OS. Seems pretty drastic AND not something I even want to consider.

And no, I do not want to use a mouse.

In searching around this seems like a fairly common problem.

Top Student
Audicyguy
Message 6 of 6 (20,708 Views)

As one poster noted Windows generic drivers are sufficient to keep the touchpad operational.

Uninstalled Synaptics software (and drivers) downloaded the latest driver (v14.0.3) from synaptics.com installed the new driver package. And all is well.

This is the longest period of scrolling since the problem first surfaced about 5 weeks ago.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation