Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I*ve done all the recommended... turning off hardware acceleration and running ccleaner - couldn't run combofix as it said my in 8.1 system was win 2000.

Tried chrome for a few days and had no problem 'other than that it was chrome) but back in ff now i get the sam system crash.

**bleep** HP?

HP Recommended

I too have been having the same issue...have CC Cleaner which I use everytime I log off using facebook or if I have been doing a lot of research on google. it just started a couple of weeks ago. I just bought this laptop dec. 22 2014 and this started probably about 3 1/2 weeks ago. In beginning it was just once in awhile but in the last week its been happening like anywhere from 3-5 times a day..its so frustrating because I cannot get anything accomplished I need to get done online that I need to.

So did "turning off the accleration in firefox browser and the flash player app actually help at all? If so, how do I go about doing that?

I really want to try and avoid having to call Best Buy's GS as if I can help it.

thanks in advance ~Angie

HP Recommended

Add another user to the list having this problem... The CC cleaner did not help, updating, installing and reinstalling drivers has not helped... Occurs in Firefox, and i.e. ... have not tried Chrome... bought computer 11/30/14... frustrating...

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have bought my laptop in December. When I see a video or a photo the blue screen comes up with the message

system thread exception not handled atikmdag sys.

It is frustrating and I can not find any solution anywhere.

PLease Help!

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a solution?  I am having the same issue.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

After disabling hardware accelleration in Firefox one week ago on my HP Pavilion, I have not experienced the atikmdag.sys error. I has only been one week, but it used to occur a few times a day. I have my fingers crossed ... 

HP Recommended

For my windows 8.1 64bit,i am getting same error many times in day specially, When i access multiple tabs of firefox and multiple Visual studio  windows.

I have tried ccleaner but got same error again.

Need your help! Please give me a solution.

HP Recommended

Same issue here. Sometimes three times in an hour! So frustrating!!

HP Recommended

Hello all,

A common cause of this sort of problem is the hardware acceleration function, either from within your browser, or in adobe. It is also possible that it could be a problem with the driver for your display adapter. The correct driver would vary from one model to the next.

As a start, here are methods to disable the hardware acceleration in various browsers, and for adobe flash.

Windows 7: Internet Explorer GPU Hardware Acceleration - Turn On or Off - sevenforums.com

How to Turn GPU "Hardware Acceleration" On or Off in Firefox  - sevenforums.com

How to Turn Off Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome - solveyourtech.com

To disable hardware acceleration in Adobe Flash Player:

How do I disable or enable hardware acceleration? - forums.adobe.com

Give it a try and see if it helps, just use the one that most applies to your situation. If that does not help, then for those still having trouble, please post the full product number and operating system in use on your notebook. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

A HP tech remoted in to my PC and removed and updated my drivers but I still got the BSOD with same error message when on the internet.  I just followed the instructions to disable the hardware acceleration for all browsers and Adobe Flash.  I will let you know in a few days if I am still getting the BSOD System_thread_exception_not_handled (atikmdag.sys) error screen or not.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.