Question

Honor Student
Confused_of_UK
Message 1 of 7 (5,532 Views)
Accepted Solution

TEREDO TUNNELING PSEUDO-INTERFACE DEVICE IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY - ACCORDING TO AVG PC TUNE UP

My laptop is an HP G7030EA - MS Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit SP2 Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60 GHz, 1.0GB RAM, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, purchased new in February 2008.  I have not changed any hardware, software, etc.  I do not use it for gaming, just for basic things such as e-mails and visiting internet sites

Until last month when my desktop computer broke, I used the laptop only occasionally as a back up computer.  It has never functioned well, and seems to be incapable of handling more than one task at a time, often taking minutes for Google to load.  when I get impatient and click the mouse too many times I hear a horrible noise and the screen and mouse cursor freeze up for a minute or two.

As the laptop has become my main computer for the timebeing, I downloaded AVG PC Tune Up to see if this would improve the performance- it hasn't helped a great deal .  I was surprised to see how much memory the AVG2013 anti virus program uses,  but wonder if the speed of connection and freezing problems I am experiencing are due to (the AVG Tune Up findings about) the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Device not working properly.

I followed AVG's on screen advice re: searching for updated driver software but none was found and I received the message "The best driver software for your device is already installed.  Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date, Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter.

This has left me confused.  If there is a problem with this device, no solution appears to exist. 

Any help that will enable my laptop to function normally will be gratefully received.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 7 (5,498 Views)

Re: TEREDO TUNNELING PSEUDO-INTERFACE DEVICE IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY - ACCORDING TO AVG PC TUNE UP

I understand you want to know if the teredo adapter can cause the performance issues.

The teredo adapter shouldn't cause any performance issues.  It is really just used to allow IPv4 devices to work with an IPv6 ISP.  If the ISP was using IPv6 and your system lacked the teredo adapter, then it wouldn't work properly with the ISP.  For now, IPv6 is a large minority as most of the world still operates on IPv4 as not all networks, ISPs, and companies are not fully transitioned to IPv6. 

This thread on Microsoft's forums goes into a little more detail regarding the teredo adapter including how to disable it so that you don't see it in device manager.  Unless you are using IPv6, this shouldn't really be an issue. 

If you boot into safe mode, does the performance issue persist?  Turn the notebook on and press F8 about once a second to get the option for Safe Mode with Networking.  This should help isolate the performance issue further.

Also, does this happen regardless of whether the power adapter is connected or not?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Confused_of_UK
Message 3 of 7 (5,484 Views)

Re: TEREDO TUNNELING PSEUDO-INTERFACE DEVICE IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY - ACCORDING TO AVG PC TUNE UP

[ Edited ]

Cloud_Strider, thank you very much for your helpful and informative reply. 

I have decided to do nothing about the Teredo device.  I removed Spybot and AVG and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials to protect my computer instead.  It now boots up in 2-3 minutes and can be used immediately.  This was not the case before, because AVG always updated on boot up and the computer was unusable for 10-20 minutes, occasionally even longer. 

I am still experiencing slow performance during the day, however, which never happened with my desktop.  I know that I only have a basic internet connection - because I don't download movies or play games online - but wish I knew why connecting to the internet, and my laptop  'freezing' upon opening a webpage, is still a problem.  The latter regularly occurs when a webpage has 'live animations'.  My C Drive has 21.1GB free space (out of 63.4GB).

If you can offer any insight or suggestions as to what I can try to improve responsiveness - which won't involve me spending any money - then I shall be delighted to hear them.   If not, I will have to buy a new desktop computer sooner rather than later! Thanks again.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 7 (5,445 Views)

The Internet connection speed slowing down during a specific time of the day is typically related to the ISP and the type of Internet being provided.  Internet connection speed issues related to the system are typically happening constantly without a period of a good connection.  It sounds like your Internet speeds are fluctuating rather than always remaining slow.

By type of Internet being provided, I am referring to DSL and Cable.  There is a satellite option, but it isn't all that common.  Cable Internet speeds depends largely on how many users are active on your local connection to the ISP's box.  For example, your Internet speed will be faster when 50 users are online versus 100 users being online.  DSL isn't as susceptible to the number of users being online, so the speed shouldn't fluctuate as much.  DSL is typically provided by a phone company as cable is typically provided by a cable company.  Based on the thought that the speed fluctuates on your system (times where it is faster, times where it is slower), I would say this is result of how many active users your ISP has in your area. 

A new ISP was instituted in my neighborhood and I switched to them on day 1.  My speeds was considerably faster and more reliable compared to my old ISP.  However, that was when it was new.  Now that more and more subscribers are joining them, my speed decreases a little by little as other subscribers.  I'm still getting a faster connection than my old ISP could offer and it's more reliable.  I will also note that my speeds improve substantially after 10pm or so after most users are not actively using it anymore.  I suspect this may be what is happening in your case. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Confused_of_UK
Message 5 of 7 (5,428 Views)

Thank you Cloud_Strider.  As an employee of HP I understand that you would be foolish to say anything negative about one of your company's products, even an old one.  As my previous post implied, the problems I have with my laptop did not occur with my (Medion) desktop computer, right up until its demise in February.  The more graphics - especially moving ones - on a web page the worse my laptop performs.  I accept there is something in what you said but, in my view, the components in this 5 year old HP G7030EA are inadequate for fast web browsing in 2013.  Best Wishes. 

110 Honor Student
Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (3,155 Views)

problemi con questa programa driver
Honor Student
Confused_of_UK
Message 7 of 7 (3,147 Views)

I recently bought a new laptop and 'cannot believe' how quickly it starts and connects.   This was the real solution to my problem!  In due course my old laptop will be consigned to offline use for keeping details of my household spending, etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation