Question

Top Student
Judd_and_Maddie
Message 1 of 35 (44,414 Views)
Accepted Solution

Thermal Shutdown Problem

Recently when playing games on full screen my notebook PC's screen turns off and the machine continues to run sometimes with the sound still playing. The screen does not come back on and the only way to resolve the issue is by restarting the computer (by holding in the button) when the computer restarts it shows the error message 'Thermal Shutdown' and info about why this could of happened (none of which helps) Until recently I thought it only happened after playing games for over 1 hour but today the thermal shutdown occurred after just 5 minuets?

Anyway I hope you can help and Thank-you

also my full notebook info is bellow,

MY NOTEBOOK INFO:-

Model - G72-102 HD

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium - Service Pack 1

System Type - 64-bit operating system

Total Memory - 219GB

Free Memory - 156GB

RAM - 2GB (1.8GB Useable)

Under warranty - yes

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU     M 330 @ 2.13GHz

Professor
Pankay
Message 2 of 35 (44,404 Views)

Re: Thermal Shutdown Problem

does it happen with every game????

||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
Top Student
Judd_and_Maddie
Message 3 of 35 (44,399 Views)

not all of them it seems to be ea games mostly for some reason eg. Sims 3, Spore...

Professor
Pankay
Message 4 of 35 (44,395 Views)

some games needs more graphics memory to run better...

as an extra graphics card is not available in the laptops.. the built in graphics card might not take load of the game...

like Sims 3 requires 2.4 ghz cpu

1.5 GB RAM and NVidia FX 5900 or equivalent Graphics card..

i understand that your laptop is meeting the minimum requirement however it might get overheated when you'll run the game with increased quality...

||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
Top Student
Judd_and_Maddie
Message 5 of 35 (44,390 Views)

Thank-you Im soo glad there is nothing wrong with my laptop  :smileyhappy: So therefor does that mean if I turn the quality down the chances of the game overheating would be less? 

Professor
Pankay
Message 6 of 35 (44,386 Views)

yes!! that is possible...

also update the drivers...

BIOS, Graphics and chipset...

Honor Student
deldiek
Message 7 of 35 (44,316 Views)

Most Laptops aren't designed for full contact gaming applications with everyting Cranked Up.

Get it on a solid surface

Buy a Good Fan Driven cooler to put under it 

Most of all keep it clean and BREATHING

Never run a high app software solution on a bed a couch or ON YOUR LAP

It's always a problem  with high temps on these platforms

Make sure you are running appropriate Power Scheme (Active Cooling not pasive and tone down the Graphics

Balanced Power is a good starting solution in power management

Get the Right Drivers ( uninstall the old ones first ) Nvidia or ATI will have on site

IF you want a Gaming  Notebook Get Alienware Stuff not a business

or Enterprize piece Like HP or Dell /Acer Stay out of Best Buy too

Have Fun

Pankay wrote:

yes!! that is possible...

also update the drivers...

BIOS, Graphics and chipset...

Delos C Diekhuis
Honor Student
fadil
Message 8 of 35 (43,137 Views)

how to soft the Thermal Shutdown Problem?

Honor Student
fadil
Message 9 of 35 (43,133 Views)

why if i play game in my laptop alwasy my pc laptop torn of and any  Thermal Shutdown Problem how to soft that?

pleas help me!

Top Student
davidson5566
Message 10 of 35 (42,461 Views)

My HP 2000-363NR is giving me the same problem. I bought it during 2011 thanksgiving. After about 4 days, it starts this thermal shutdown issue. I've searched around for solutions online, and have tried

1) Update the drivers (VGA, chipset, LAN, wifi etc...)
2) Update to the latest BIOS (F.33 as of 2/8/2012)
3) Took the whole thing apart (what a nasty job), re-seat the CPU heat sink, apply new thermal paste using Arctic Silver 5. Made sure the heat sink was making proper contact with the CPU.
4) Clean install of Windows 7

After all these, I'm still getting the dreaded thermal shutdown. I made sure I'm not over-running the CPU. Things I typically do are Word processing, spreadsheet, web browsing etc. But this thing just shuts down at a random point, no matter what I was doing.

The CPU area is not even hot, it's an Intel core i3 M370. I also used Everest to monitor the CPU temperature, idling at 33C, and when I run intelburntest, it stays at about 60C. I found these temperature normal.

My conclusion: Defective motherboard (maybe a bad sensor or something)

I can't believe HP has this issue going on for some many models of their laptop. Just Google HP 630 Thermal Shutdown, there's even some youtube videos for that. My bad for not doing enough research before buying this thing. But I guess I know what brand NOT to buy next time.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation